Saumur to Angers - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2018

Saumur to Angers

Vintage cycles, vintage chateaux, vintage churches, classic weather and classic camping.

June 23 Saturday 55kms

Samur to Angers

Vintage cycles, vintage chateaux, vintage churches and classic camping.

By the time we cross the Loire to rejoin the Francette, the end of bridge is closed to traffic to allow the vintage velos to pass. Hundreds of belles and beaux on bikes stream past to ride the circuit of Samur.

If you can’t beat them, join them!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The crowded start line.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dapper Dan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have to join them ( we are vintage even if our bikes are not), and make the bike path amid trilling bike bells and hooting horns.

Heart 0 Comment 0

It's good to be beside the Loire again. In 2016 we were on the opposite bank going in the opposite direction. Not sure if it’s just the weather but the left bank heading west has a few more attractions. It’s an idyllic ride, unless you’re hankering for something really rugged of course. We pass abbeys, Chateaux, and flourishing gardens both vegetable and flower. 

Saumur
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saumur
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ste-Gemmes-sur-Loire
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The bells of Le Priorie church at Cunault ring as we park outside. Four bells with lovely tone toll the midday hour. We discover from inside info that there combined weight is 568kg. All that metal supported above the slender gothic columns. The organ is different with two sections of pipes projecting horizontally.

Cunault. L'eglise prieurale Notre Dame de Cunault.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

At our lunch break, we meet two New Yorkers over for a week cycling Chateau to Chateau for their 30th anniversary. We compare notes and leave them to take the alternative route which we did in 2016. It's the one with the self propelled river crossing- a slightly  muddy experience when Michael did the honours. On the other side of the Loire on this trip, all is new.

The Maine river joins the Loire at Bouchemaine and Angers is in the distance. We remember the huge park which brings one into the city if not in a car! The French have a large country and they provide leisure areas in most main cities. Here there is wilderness , walking tracks, picnic areas, and aquatic activities on the lake.

Angers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Camping du Lac appears on our left and we get an en Velo rate of 8 euros each. In the space for cyclists we find a picnic table and umbrella, so this is a winner. There is a pool too.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The German couple near us have come from Strasbourg following much the same route as we have. They are on the homeward path to Koln.

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 1,592 km (989 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0