Rosenheim to Bergen - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

August 29, 2018

Rosenheim to Bergen

We sea blue sees and blue mountains.

August 29 Wednesday 55kms

Rosenheim to Bergen 

We sea blue sees and  blue mountains.

With a more detailed map from O of T, we cross the Inn river, recalling our tour of 2016. A grey haired woman on the bridge manages to convey the message that she too once cycle- toured and mentions Yugoslavia .

Stephanskirchen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riedering
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

First town Stephanskirchen is up the hill. There are plenty of people wearing drindls or lederhosen as normal day wear. Town and country merge and the concrete path or small roads pass barns and neatly mown meadows. Everything is very open and undenied. The clover is lush and sweet smelling. Apple and pear trees are heavy with fruit. Some overhang the trail, and there are some "help yourself " baskets. We do.

Farmers market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Simssee
Heart 0 Comment 0

We get a glimpse of Simsee as we climb. Pine forest to Atzing then more on a particularly rough and stoned track that requires bike pushing.

A lunch stop is due and we take advantage of a seat at Tee 15 as, surprisingly, the route crosses directly across the local golf course. A player has a chat and is pleased to tell of his recent trip to NZ . He also directs us to a water tap for the essential water refill. The boiled eggs and rolls from breakfast replenish the calories used on that last push.

An easier path takes us down to Pfaffing where we cross a motorway and into Bernau am Chiemsee. The beautiful blue lake is enormous and dotted with yachts. Grassau has an ice cream shop strategically placed. No question about stopping for a scoop of yoghurt-peach and mandarin.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Simssee
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fancy barn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bauernberg- the road through the forest was rough but short.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bernau am Chiemsee
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chiemsee
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

This sustains us to Bergen. The campsite is well marked and well set up. Our tent site is near Haus Two, a typical two storied, balconied alpine house with all the facilities one needs downstairs. It’s very much brown wood and darkened interior, but clean. Obviously used in winter too, as the bathrooms are heated and there are hot plates available in the kitchen.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grassau
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Staudach-Egerndach- Weidach. The maypole- an old tradition practised in rural areas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Identity crisis?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pleasant little camp spot in Bergen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Surveying the competition or campervan envy.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There is a spare picnic table so this camp scores all the Ts. We do have a card for the local pool, but as it closes at seven and we need food for dinner, a dash to the supermarket is all we manage. Pleasant evening to cook and eat outside with the not so distant hills in sight. The evenings are darker now so it's not long before we are tucked up in our little tent.

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 3,573 km (2,219 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0