Munich to Rosenheim - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2018

Munich to Rosenheim

Mangfall meandering from Munich to Rosenheim.

August 28 Tuesday 74kms

Munich to Rosenheim 

Mangfall meandering from Munich to Rosenheim.

Our host Gernot has given us directions for a route out of Munich which follows a forest path to Sauerlach. We wend our way through tree lined streets, past Bayern Munich’s headquarters, crowded with red clad fans, to the entrance to the forest park. The path is superb and our first hour sees us rolling along through this sealed, forested path at a respectable 20+ KPH. The path is reasonably busy with runners and day cyclists. 

Farewelling our Munich home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cycling out of town proved very straightforward.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Important event or everyday fandom?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The forest park has wonderful cycle routes and was an easy and safe way to leave town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sauerlach
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Sauerlach we follow the road to Ayling and find the river Mangfall at Feldkirchen. We are immediately struck by the clarity of the water and before long we spy swimmers seeking relief from the heat. The route continues through pretty towns often characterised by on onion domed church and tempting backerei. There are some hills though they are not too challenging. The mountains on the horizon, a distant blue back in Munich are increasing in size and definition.

Feldkirchen-Westerham
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mountains in sight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mangfall
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishing the Mangfall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bruckmühl - Hinrichssegen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bruckmühl- Waldheim
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bruckmühl-Waldheim
Heart 0 Comment 0
Meeting day trippers.
Heart 0 Comment 0

An appealing feature of this Bavarian cycle route is how open it feels. Though the narrow English and Welsh hedge-lined paths have their own appeal, and the French tree lined canal paths provide cool shade, the present route gives the feeling of an unlimited horizon. While one may not be inclined to cavort across the hills singing ala Julie Andrews, there is that feeling, with the  mountain backdrop, of being on top of the world and it’s easy to understand why yodeling may have become a pastime in such a rarified atmosphere.

As late afternoon advances we see groups of swimmers making use of the pools created by the river’s large rocks. It’s clear some have been strategically placed to the advantage of the locals, effectively creating deep swimming holes. Lacking time to take full advantage of the situation, we stop and cool down with a paddle.

Bad Aibling
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rock pools have been created to provide great swimming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Rosenheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Towards 5:00 we enter Rosenheim and head for the campground address I have found on the net. Alas! It no longer seems to exist and so we resort to a hotel, The Golden Kisrsh, run by the Kumars, for the night. From our wonderful hotel window, we see the appropriately dressed locals we noticed earlier on their way to celebrate a festival in town - males walk about in smart lederhosen and females in drindls. We have seen signs proclaiming the upcoming beerfest, perhaps this is a preliminary. Lacking the lederhosen and the energy, for further exploration, we settle for a meal of leftovers, a cup of tea and a bath! The 74 kilometres has been pleasant cycling and we’d like to reach Salzburg in a couple of days so it’s a earlyish night.

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 3,518 km (2,185 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0