Lyon to St Vallier - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2016

Lyon to St Vallier

Trains, tourers and Roman Ruins.

 29 Tuesday  57kms 

Lyon to St Vallier

Tuesday may 29th

Gare de Lyon-Part-Dieu welcomes us with red jacketed SNCF assistants. Our helper manipulates the ticket machine. 11 euros for two seniors to Vienne. Then the wait for the platform announcement, the scurry for the train and the bike carriage. We get on okay but where to place ourselves and bikes? We block the gangway until the security men shoo passengers from the flip up and down seats and we have a compartment for parking.

Start of day - retrieval of velos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gare de Lyon-Part-Dieu. The carriage was at platform level, allowing a painless wheel on. We learned not to presume this every time.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This easy exit from Lyon has us in Vienne in no time.

Past Roman occupation is evident. Negotiated busy thoroughfare with large trucks, to find riverside route.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It's a wonderful river. Such a volume of water. V 17 signage excellent, enhanced by green painted lines on turns.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There are lots of tourers going both ways. Good green spaces for leisure activities. Note a few walking groups emerging from the woods.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Cotes du Rhone in the making.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
St Vallier
Heart 0 Comment 0

And so we come to Municipal Camping Saint Valerie. Well maintained facilities, trees and grassy campsites. A Yorkshire couple say hello. They come here frequently and play golf on the two local courses. Lots of Dutch and Germans in their caravans.

Camping Municipal- hard to beat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Note the mayo in the tube- a godsend for cyclists!
Heart 0 Comment 0


The town ( or the part we walk to) is poor but we find Middle Eastern shop with eggs, fruit and freshly made pitas- thick and spongy.

Near us we have an older Dutch cyclist away on his own for three weeks, and a German girl traveling solo. The Swiss man has gone to an Air B n B, but he comes over to say hello later.

M is at wifi hotspot , but I want my bed. 

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 297 km (184 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0