Haltwhistle to Prudhoe. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2018

Haltwhistle to Prudhoe.

Misty morning in Vindolanda to sunny afternoon in Corbridge and warm evening in Prudhoe.

Haltwhistle to Prudhoe 63kms 

Misty morning in Vindolanda to  sunny afternoon in Corbridge and warm evening in Prudhoe.

It’s a misty moisty morning. We reach the high road with the fells on our left and the end of the North Pennines in rolling wooded country below. Black faced sheep, some curly horned, and cattle graze the dry land or settled behind the stone walls. It’s  a satisfying feeling to be out pedaling in the fresh early morning.

A misty morning start.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roman ruins, Vindolanda.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bardon Hill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bardon Hill- Westwood
Heart 0 Comment 0
Haydon Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Newbrough Settlingstones.
Heart 0 Comment 0


We cut down to Vindolanda, a Roman site, then up to the highest point on the wall route, at 260 metres. Chesters, another site on the wall has its share of visitors, and we continue to Hexham. This place has traffic building up to attend the car boot sale.

Our attention is food of course, and Waitrose claims our pounds, ( saw Tesco later). We picnic at Corbridge, where a churchyard provides  shade. The church origins are Saxon, and the town was an important crossroads town for the Romans.

Newbrough
Heart 0 Comment 0
Corbridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
St Andrews Church Corbridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
19th Century stained glass window.
Heart 0 Comment 0


Beside the church is a Pele tower : a fortified tower, built in 13th century. It housed the vicar until the 17th and provided protection from roving cattle thieves from north of the border. Now you can have a beer there.

Happy Sunday afternoon  riding past stone cottages, colourful gardens and pubs with outdoor crowds enjoying the sun.

An old railway path provides a leafy entrance to Prudhoe. Information boards have historic photos of trainloads arriving for picnics beside the river Tyne. The railway still serves the towns on Hadrian's Wall.

Corbridge has been a ford on the Tyne since Roman times and before.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our camping spot is green and leafy. There are  tables, and a sheltered space should we need. A Dutch couple on motorcycles , and an English chap, here to do a rowing course, are our only neighbours. I help him put up the tent he’s borrowed from his son. The boy and girl from the caravan site run off their energy in the field. We find  their Geordie accents enchanting but incomprehensible.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 2,381 km (1,479 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0