Geneva to Seyssel - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2018

Geneva to Seyssel

We start on the Via Rhona, cross into France and enjoy French cuisine.

May 24 Thursday 

57kms

Geneva to Seyssel

We start on the Via Rhona, cross into France and enjoy French cuisine.We leave Geneva which is charming and should have had our attention for another day. 

First day. The apartment building had a large lockup for cycles.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Enjoy a brief walk around central Geneva streets to the tourist office. Impressed by the number of cyclists on the streets heading for work. Decide against the 30min cycle to UniMall where sports shop may have gas. We have brought the Jetboil and it needs a screw-in gas canister, not easily found. The queue in the Orange store also a deterrent. We will rely on wifi for now.

Time to view the lake though. A huge expanse of water with spectacular fountains  and very pretty with hills in the background and railings along the lake festooned with flowers. Further  along  the lake  front there’s a large swimming area sectioned off. A dip would be a pleasant way to start the day, but we’re keen to start on the Via Rhona.

A beautiful day beside the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Houses above the Rhone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Via Rhona signage is very good and we reach Seyssel on good cycle paths, a little on road and three good steady climbs.

The first 10 km to get out of Genève are through leafy lanes, small hamlets and quiet roads. Hear our first cowbell and joyfully fill our water bottles at the fountain after one short sharp hill.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Water refill. It’s surprising how difficult finding water en route can be sometimes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The climbs around the Vauche mountain with the Defile de l'Ecluse gorge below take us to 595m and are on road. Traffic gives us space but it is long and hot, those reasonably gradual. Good workout for first day.

Avully
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cycle shoulder has a fairly generous width.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Usinens
Heart 1 Comment 0
Vulbens
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chevrier
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing into France is pretty unceremonious.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chancy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chevrier
Heart 0 Comment 0

 We arrive in Seyssel early evening and find the campground beside the river. Pool not open yet. We cool down with  a shower and enjoy dinner on the terrace at camp restaurant overlooking river and church bell tower in Seyssel.

Seyssel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
First campsite of our ride set up.
Heart 0 Comment 0


French food .... Tarte aux tomate and salad then a beautiful fish with vegetables and frites like no other!

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 72 km (45 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0