Aquileia to Cervignano; Cervignano to Mestre; Mestre to Camping Rialto. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2018

Aquileia to Cervignano; Cervignano to Mestre; Mestre to Camping Rialto.

Pleasant cycle ride to Cervignano, relaxed train ride to Mestre, final ride with full panniers to Camping Rialto

September 14 Friday 21kms

Aquileia to Cervignano; Cervignano to Mestre; Mestre to Camping Rialto.

Pleasant cycle ride to Cervignano, relaxed train ride to Mestre, final ride with full panniers to Camping Rialto.

There is no need to rush breakfast, so we have time to chat and offer coffee to another young cyclist, Stavros, from Virginia, USA. He is en route to Crete, and distant relatives. He speaks loudly but is open and genuine about his wonder at European cycle culture.

Cycle path to Cervignano.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are at the stazione Cervignano with an hour to spare. There is another cyclist waiting. He looks fairly laid back, and so he proves to be. By the time the train arrives, there are twelve cyclists at the end of the platform and a bustling crowd of pedestrians. To Michael's question 'quanta bicicleta?' the train can take, there's a relaxed smile. There is a special carriage for cycles. The late comers get on first and I notice our Italian companion helping to lift their bikes and panniers. Everyone does something to expedite a swift departure as the train whistle shrieks, though we still have bags on the platform. Willing hands haul us and our bags aboard. There is room for all the bikes and we get a seat as well. Go Trenitalia!

Cervignano stazione.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The train ride in to Mestre is relaxed and the distance eaten up quickly. Part of us feels that we should have cycled- next year maybe!

I had written down our route out of Mestre, and it got us past road works, along a one way street, under the motorway and out to the Via Orlanda. Said street is a very long way around an enormous roundabout including an autostrada entry, and traffic was heavy. Off road in shade, and another google consult, we can see that the nearby park provides a pedestrian bridge to a cycle way through a nature reserve. This takes us to Orlanda again but close to Camping Rialto and Chalet 06, our final stop on the 2018 tour. (Michael- On our later ride to pick up the bike boxes, Ann plots the whole route in almost the same direction on cycleways using MapsMe!)

Today's ride: 21 km (13 miles)
Total: 4,065 km (2,524 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0