Thursday 5th September 73 Kms Lukov to Mikulov. Through the National Park Forest and Along the Military Patrol Path. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 3 - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2019

Thursday 5th September 73 Kms Lukov to Mikulov. Through the National Park Forest and Along the Military Patrol Path.

 September 5 Thursday 73 Kms.  

Lukov to Mikulov. 

Through the National Park Forest and Along the Military Patrol Path.Breakfast indeed nearly matches dinner. We do justice to as much of it as possible, starting with the granola and yoghurt, progressing through the bratwurst, beans and eggs to a finish with watermelon.

Knowing that the National Park Greenways track is perhaps a little rough, we take the road to Podmolí and enter the park there. The track is fine for the first part and takes us up high over the river. We don’t have to climb because we are already at that height. Then the track descends steeply until we reach a vineyard where of all things there is - a wine bar! 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We resist the temptation to stop and join the cluster of patrons and walk our bikes down the rockily paved track. This is a short stretch and we are soon at the river and crossing on a swing bridge. The water is clear but brackish. Before we know it, there’s a short section of greenery and we have left the park. Once through, vineyards appear. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

From here the cycling to Satov and beyond is easy. The track is a little rough and potholed at first but almost completely carless. Jaroslavice is our lunch stop. Here there is another massive chateau, this one, colonnaded, above the town. We picnic under the trees in the square. There are no seats but there is water on tap. The centre of town is quiet apart from a group of school boys aggressively and noisily doing what boisterous boys do, but they soon head off for lunch. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Jaroslavice
Heart 1 Comment 0

The border patrol roads then whisk us along at speeds reaching  25 kph plus. They are amazingly straight and in some situations might be considered uninspiring, but it’s getting to late afternoon and we want to make Mikulov. This we do by about 5, stopping only to book Pension Stavia and pick up supplies from Billa as we enter town. Euros and Korunas can be used now so we need to get rid of the small change.

Watermelon harvesting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Border patrol roads from the days of the Iron Curtain.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The pension is a little uphill but nothing we can’t handle and,  like the others we’ve stayed in, it’s beautiful, with a garden and terrace, a white walled room- with a fan and a place for our bikes. The kitchen is well stocked, including bread for toast!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Mikulov
Heart 2 Comment 0
Breakfast on the terrace.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We dine on new potatoes, chicken, salad with apple and blue cheese for afters. We’d hoped to look around the centre but that will have to wait until morning.

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 1,823 km (1,132 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonSo that’s what Mikulov looks like! It was overcast when we arrived there, and pouring the next morning.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago