Mikulov to Mistelbach. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 3 - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2019

Mikulov to Mistelbach.

From Czech Wine Festivities to Austrian Second hand Fair.

September 6 Friday 62 kms.

Mikulov to Mistelbach. From Czech Wine Festivities to Austrian Second hand Fair.

After breakfast on the terrace, we pack and head towards Mikulov centre. The Jewish cemetery is on the way. Mikulov was the centre for Moravian Jews, and the cemetery covers a large area (second only to Prague), with graves dating back to the 17th century. There’s a small museum detailing the history of the old town’s twelve synagogues, and Jewish funeral rites. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
4,000 graves
Heart 2 Comment 0

Up at the centre, beneath the towering Chateau, which dominates the landscape for a great distance, preparations are underway for a festival- mainly related to wine from what we can tell. Stalls sell food and a form of young wine that looks like beer and seems to be consumed in the same way. We try the fried potato cubes served on sauerkraut and find them delicious.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Hot potato and Sauerkraut. Delicious.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Before we leave town we push up to the gardens to take in the view. The Caucasus mountains extend from Poland to Wien are to the left,  and isolated remains of limestone mountains scatter the rest of the vast plain. 

Down to the river and the the cycle path, heading for the border with Austria. Along the route boards post tales of escape along what apparently was a very tightly controlled border. Escapes were attempted in a variety of ways including one chap in a frogman suit, who negotiated the river somehow. The memorial to those who died in the attempt include one from 1984, which does not seem so long ago. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Names of those who died in the attempt.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our border crossing, on the other hand, is a little anticlimactic with very little to signify any change, and we are unsure about the cycle way classification. Compared to the country we have just left, Austria seems closed for the day. The route continues on a road with light traffic and is fairly even though the wide open country, and cool windy weather, gives a sense of being in the middle of a slightly unwelcoming landscape. It is not until a coffee and strudel at Poysdorf, where a firemen’s day is underway with a colourful sale of children’s toys and books, that we are able to pick up a map and the definitive trail number: 91.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

From here we follow what becomes a great cycle path, clearly signposted and with a good surface. Our goal is Mistelbach, and we reach this town about 4:00pm and find comfortable enough accommodation at The Golden Krone.

We’re aware that tomorrow is the big push to Vienna, but rain is also forecast. A challenging combination of events.

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,885 km (1,171 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0