Saturday 24th A Walk in Saxony hills- Mushrooms , berries, forests and views - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 3 - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2019

Saturday 24th A Walk in Saxony hills- Mushrooms , berries, forests and views

August 24 Saturday 

A Walk in Saxony hills- Mushrooms , berries, forests and views.

Family breakfast with daughter Miriam from Dresden and her two sons. We sing Grace and wish each other a happy day. Bread rolls, cheeses and homemade jam keep us happy.

The outing planned for today is to visit the Suisse Saxony. Rudolph knows the area well- he grew up in Prna and hiked and climbed the rocky mesas from a young age.

As we walk through the National Park on forest trails which gradually climb, a very small snake makes a speedy retreat from our boots. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

At last we reach the rocky heights- rather like the Coromandel Pinnacles. After the initial clamber, we are assisted by the metal stairs and handholds secured in the rocks. The narrow ascent leads us vertically to the rocky platform where other climbers await a clear moment on the ladder, to descend. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our picnic of German bread sandwiches and pottles of apple purée is perfect and the view wonderful. Rudolph names Lillienstein and Konigstein rocks, between which we will pass tomorrow. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Return through the forest is saddening. From the top the dead and dying trees were clearly visible. In the quiet of the forest it is possible to hear the beetles that are destroying the pine and needle trees. The pines are being removed, and non-needle trees remain, but the forest will be patchy and bare.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

At the Kurtch river there is a museum with a working water wheel and a place for coffee and cake. We have the Heidelberg ( blue berry) and the Dresden ( with Quark) and iced coffees and try in vain to combat the wasps. Once home, our light supper includes the beige/orange forest mushrooms Elisabeth judged okay to pick in the woods. They are delicious with a flavour of their own.

She has also made a Czech/Polish pudding of plums in a potato dough dumpling with a sugary cinnamon topping. We eat with enthusiasm after an energetic day.

Before bed , we spend some time with maps, and get some pointers for the route to Ljubljana and Trieste, and see some photos of the Moller’s recent ride in Norway.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0