Friday 23rd August Cycle to Dresden, train to Radeburg, Concert in Evening. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 3 - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2019

Friday 23rd August Cycle to Dresden, train to Radeburg, Concert in Evening.

August 23 Friday 31Kms

Cycle to Dresden, train to Radeburg, Concert in Evening.

The day starts with al fresco breakfast. Rudolph is already at work- they both work with the intellectually disabled at a church supported facility about 10 minutes bike ride away.

It’s a hot day- too hot for city walking perhaps, but we are keen to see Dresden so ride through the woods - the Dresden Heide- with Elisabeth, down to the cycle path from where we gain a broad view of a city of many spires and domes. We say goodbye to Elisabeth and park our bikes near Brühls Terrace within site of the castle, cathedral and the Fraukirche. Everything is close by. The interior of the Fraukirche is different, painted in soft whites, apple green and pink. The first level gallery is glazed with small panes windows and the dome allows plenty of light. This church was the most recently restored, funded through a worldwide campaign. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Santicissima Trinita Cathedral in gothic style is simple, although the silver candle holders on the altar are solidly elaborate. 

Most of the city was damaged in the 45 bombing, but these buildings still look old in their blackened stone.  

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Zwinger is the old baroque palace. It surrounds a square with hedged lawns and fountained pools. Wide steps lead to the the terraces and views of the river and the colourful paddle steamer ferries from Meissen and Leipzig. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

A frutti de bosco ice cream soothes the mid afternoon heat. We decide against the old masters gallery, and are satisfied with wandering. 

The 25 km return home is uphill, so the plan is to take the train to Radeburg and cycle the last 5 km from there. On route To Neustadt station we pass the Golden Reiter. The horseman in gold leaf is set to charge down the tree lined avenue which leads to the station. On one side is a row of traditional houses 2-3 stories and opposite are new appartments with balconies. They sit over the shops on ground level. The avenue is pedestrian only and the shops are busy. Such a pleasant way of living. 

The train makes light of the hills and four stops later we are in Radeburg. We take the main road as we cannot recall the lanes Elisabeth used this morning.  

There is a singer/songwriter concert in the evening, outdoors in the grounds of the church house. It’s easy music and pleasant. Children run about under the trees, locals greet each other, and we join the line for Bratwurst and brot, and a grapefruit radler. The satirical sounding lyrics,  ala Tom Lehrer, are explained to us by the writer/ singer at the first break. We had picked up on some words, and he confirms the song laments the demise of the video store, so the singer was no longer able to “travel” from his couch. Our couch is also calling so we make an early exit.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 1,190 km (739 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0