Monday 23rd September Divaca to Piran - a Damp Day Ends the Baltic to Adriatic Sojourn. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 3 - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2019

Monday 23rd September Divaca to Piran - a Damp Day Ends the Baltic to Adriatic Sojourn.

September 23 Monday. 58Kms

 Divaca to Piran - a Damp Day Ends the Baltic  to Adriatic Sojourn.

It’s very overcast and drizzling as we set out on our  final 40 kilometres on the 409. The traffic is heavier than usual because of a diversion. It continues wet and grey and by the time we’ve topped the rise out and reached Kozina, we’re warming up. We’re cycling through a forestry area and also one that has large limestone rocks and some caves. 

The trail is calling and that forecast looks wet, wet, wet!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Descending quite steeply towards Bertoki, we see the massive motorway overpass taking traffic towards Koper. Once we’ve negotiated this descent we pick up the D8 sign which is for the Paranzana Cycleway which runs from Muggia, just before Trieste, all the way to Porec.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
After lunch- no let up in the rain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The rain becomes very heavy soon after we begin this part of the route and we take shelter at a bistro and drippingly order pasta for lunch. We leave our overpants drying in the toilets and squelch our way to our table. Michael enjoys a hearty gnocchi and goulash while Ann does justice to a mushroom pasta. 

In most happy tales the rain will abate while lunch is being consumed and the cyclists will emerge to enjoy growing sunshine. Not today. We follow the signs to Koper and turn off beforehand to Portoroz. The final kilometres are straightforward but the rain comes with a vengeance once we reach the cycle path along the shores of the Adriatic. Our jubilation at the knowledge that we have finally completed the distance between the Baltic and the Adriatic in about 50 days is tempered by the rain that is now very heavy and stinging our faces. How fitting it would have been to plunge into the blue of the Adriatic that at present has needles of rain bouncing off it.

Turning the corner into Piran’s main piazza, we  take advantage of a respite from rain and pay  homage to one of Michael’s most loved composers, Tartini. Beneath the composer’s statue he plays part of Tartini’s violin sonata in D minor- on his phone. From time to time on the trip we have played a burst to liven up our mornings . 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we turn our attention to finding our accommodation. This proves no mean feat as the convoluted streets confuse not only us but maps.me. In the end I call the guesthouse and obligingly, Gabriella, our host, comes to find us. We’re unable to get our bikes Under cover but there is a reasonably safe area to lock them up. Once settled in, we  make tea, put up a clothesline in our room, hang out the clothing Ann has spun, and warm up. Tomorrow’s supposed to be fine!

Our street
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not a posh place, but suited our need to drip dry.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 2,541 km (1,578 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0