Getting everything back together - Rejuvenation? Or Last Hurrah? - CycleBlaze

June 26, 2022

Getting everything back together

Contents: 1 bicycle, some assembly required

THERE WERE A COUPLE items on the day's agenda.  First up was a short trip to a Warm Showers host home, whose owners had graciously allowed me to ship two boxes of gear ahead of my arrival to reduce what I had to carry as airplane luggage.  Heidi and Daniel are warm, welcoming types who have done a great deal of adventuring in their own right, and who were quite interested in hearing about my upcoming trip.

Goods retrieved, the next thing was to get them unloaded and start packing up.  My nephew was quite interested to see what I had, because he is contemplating running across the country sometime and wants to gather as much information about the feasibility and mechanics of logistics as he can. So, we reviewed everything I had shipped out, discussing what he might and might not want or need to carry on his long trek, should it ever take place.

Following that, it was time to unpack and assemble Odysseus.  As with the disassembly and packing step, a slow, steady, methodical approach works best for me.  First up, attach the bits that are most easily done with the bike on its side.

Fresh out of the box.
Heart 2 Comment 4
Scott AndersonI puzzled over this photo for awhile trying to figure out what looked odd about it. It’s your seat mast, which isn’t hinged so that you can just fold it forward when the bike collapses. Is this new? How long ago did you get your bike?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsHi-

Well spotted sir, and correctly diagnosed. My seat mast removes for packing but has no hinge. It's the 2007 edition of the New World Tourist; IIRC (which is a stretch) I think the folding seat mast was specific to the Pocket Rocket / Pocket Llama models in those days.

The NWT isn't really targeted at the daily commuter / living-in-a-small-space crowd so it's not designed for easy foldability to minimum compact size so much as it is designed to be able to fly with a minimum of at-the-airport drama.

I haven't paid enough attention to your journals to be able to recall whether you're on NWTs as well, though Ihave noted the drop bars. Yours are newer than mine because I don't think disc brakes were an option 15 years ago; had they been I'd almost certainly have signed up for them.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsYup, we ride NWT’s also. It’s our second set. We got our first ones in 2009, and the current ones in 2018 about the time we sold our home and went vagabond. And you’re right, disc brakes weren’t an option on the earlier bikes.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonI think the seat mast folding joint must have been an option that I elected not to take. I was talking to someone else with a NWT that is older than mine and they had it. I'm just a cheap SOB.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

Over the next couple hours the thing gradually took shape.  My brothers and a couple cousins had formed an extemporaneous audience, kibitzing and chatting as I worked.

This is perhaps the most important of my reassembly tools.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Scott AndersonAn IPA works better in my experience.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonI'm still a relative neophyte in the arena of fly-and-ride touring. Thanks for the pro tip, borne of obvious experience.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Nearly complete
Heart 2 Comment 0

Finally, having gotten everything back in place and secured, the rig was tied up to the porch railing.  I have yet to actually ride it but am confident things will go well.

Once again I have a BSO (Bicycle Shaped Object) available.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0