A perfect day in Portland - Rejuvenation? Or Last Hurrah? - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2022

A perfect day in Portland

A lot of walking, no riding

YOU COULD NOT ASK for better weather than what graced Portland today.  Clear blue skies, comfortable temperature, gentle breeze, low humidity... today had them all.  Although no cycling was involved this is a "tour experience day" because we're clearly not on our home turf.

It's the sort of weather that makes you think "Hmmmmmmm.... I could live here."  It may not always be exactly like today, though.

Mt. Hood rises majestically, looming over the city from the east.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We started by walking a block to a national bagel chain, getting breakfast to go (the dine-in area is closed due to COVID), then walking back to our hotel to eat.  After that came the main agenda item of the day: a visit to the Portland Japanese Garden and the Oregon Zoo, both in Washington Park a bit west of "central city".

After a little discussion we chose to cover the two miles on foot, which gave us an opportunity to work off the last kinks from our transcontinental flight yesterday and also to see some of the area up close.

Google routed us through the campus of Portland State University, which appears to be between sessions at the moment based on the lack of activity on campus.  We did see examples of the homelessness which has so plagued Portland in recent years.  We also saw several stately homes in what is clearly a very well-to-do neighborhood.

An interesting way to handle guy wires that brace a nearby utility pole.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back the opposite direction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This appeared to be a service entrance. The sign next to it instructed delivery services to place all incoming parcels inside the doorway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ornate doorway around what in Portland would pass for an "older" home.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Portland Japanese Garden

Arriving in Washington Park we found our way past the Sacajawea statue and at the front entrance to the Garden.  It was created on the former grounds of the Zoo, which was relocated due to concerns over the animals' well-being.  In the early 1950s the then-Mayor of Portland proposed that the area be used as a Japanese Garden to promote healing and better relations with those of Asian (specifically Japanese) heritage.  It consists of five distinctly different areas, and exudes an air of peace and tranquility that promotes reflection and contemplation.  I'll let the pictures replace the thousands of words it would take me to describe them.

Not in the Japanese Gardens, but Sacajawea points the way for Lewis and Clark.She may have come to regret that decision.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the beauty is quite subtle and somewhat unobtrusive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Oregon Zoo

After spending three hours or more wandering the gardens and eagerly drinking in the tranquility it was time for lunch.  Rather than leave the Park we opted to make it a part of our visit to the Oregon Zoo, which occupies another large tract within Washington Park.  We elected to take the free shuttle bus- free is, after all, my favorite price ever- which gave us a moment's respite.

Arriving at the entrance we found that tickets are now sold only online, so Mrs. Fun downloaded the app and did the necessary to get us in.  We really had no particular agenda- I grew up within a few minutes' drive of Brookfield Zoo, one of the largest in the nation, so there's not a lot of novelty.  And I can't get past the notion that they're really not the best habitat for wild creatures, modern philosophies of zookeeping notwithstanding.

Still, here we were and Mrs. Fun wanted to see the place so that settled that and in we went.

I think we each enjoyed the bird house the most, along with the penguins.  We happened to be in the penguin exhibit just at feeding time so they were extra-lively and entertaining.

Penguins are just so darn cute.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A self-portrait.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A yellow weaver.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lucky happenstance. This plant was next to the walkway through the zoo, and happened to be dramatically lit by a shaft of sunlight penetrating the heavy shadows surrounding it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I really did have the camera only about a foot away from this beautiful bird, although there was a thick glass plate between us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It took the fastest shutter speed the camera has to catch this fellow without a blur of motion.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cheetah basking in the afternoon sun.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Caffe Mingo

Before we left home, we enjoyed a meal at what has become our favorite local Italian restaurant.   We were with our neighbors, who are there often enough that they have kindled close relationships with the maître d' and owner/chef, which meant we got extra attention and care.  On hearing that we were headed to Portland the maître d' suggested that we visit Caffe Mingo, a place similar to our local.  So, having wandered the Zoo into the late afternoon we headed for dinner.

A short tram ride followed by some more walking saw us to the place.  (A fellow a couple seats behind us on the tram was clearly stoned and looking to stay that way, which added some unwanted spice to the ride but nothing more than vulgar, profanity-laced noise.)

Obligatory food porn, part 1: Mrs. Fun enjoyed her mussels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My gnocchi with pork was delicious too, but just the slightest bit salty for my taste.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The meal was quite good and the atmosphere pleasant, so we lingered a while before completing our lap by walking the two miles back to the hotel.  In all, it was a very pleasant and well-spent day.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonCaffe Mingo! Tell me more.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago