Frankfurt and the Velo Show - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2016

Frankfurt and the Velo Show

(We have been very slow to make entries in our journal for the past week as there has been no internet available along the Mosel. Campgrounds don't offer it at all and we have also not been able to find any hotspots.

Today (Friday June we have a small window of time to use some wlan (wifi), so we are going to enter some brief thoughts of a few of the days and enter photos later when we can.)

Sunday, June 18

We have decided to stay put with our friends until Sunday as it sounds like the weather will improve. As well, we will get a chance to visit with Georg as he is now home from his business trip.

Cora suggested that we visit the Frankfurt Velo Exhibition which is on today. What fun - we got to see the latest innovations in bikes and test ride any bike we wanted. Barry and I did several circuits with the HP Velotechnik Gekko and Scorpion recumbent trikes (a leading German company) and the Brompton folding bike. The trikes were set up with motors and it was a blast to ride them.

After that we visited the Roman historic site, Saarlburg. It has been faithfully rebuilt to give a sense of what life was like during these times. We learned much about the lasting impact and significance of the Romans on Europe and Germany from the Roman empire.

We finished off a wonderful day with a visit to Cora's mom in Usingen....and of course we had kaffee and kuchen (coffee and cake).

Team HP Velotechnik - Mary Ellen is riding a Gekko and Barry is trying out a Scorpion.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wow, look at those tires. It always amazes us to see people riding these off the trail and on paved paths.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A really nice touring bike and well outfitted for a tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bike-powered smoothie stand about to be set up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who is that masked man? Looking for a like minded friend...
Heart 1 Comment 0
and here she is. It may look good, but it is sure hot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rohloff hub - what a beautifully crafted piece of German engineering. We love having one on our Seavo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This German company, Draisin, made some well designed bikes, tandems (like this one) and walkers for people with walking challenges.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A profile view of this amazing tandem.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This massage device really hit the spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen loved the Brompton - really peppy and easy to manouver. We can seee their appeal for city riders and commuters. Boy, 2 of these would be easier to get on trains in Europe than our Seavo.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI have a Brompton and it is peppy and easy to maneuver. The only drawback is that it has limited gears...unless you get the electric version. :) (more power!)
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
There were so many styles and models of cargo bikes - this child seems to be enjoying the view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cora is enjoying test riding a Brompton - it is just like the one Georg has.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This man and his wife from Weilburg on the Lahn, rode around the world over 7 years. His touring bike is beside him, including his threadbare saddle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enjoyed seeing their route through some challenging countries - and they rode right by our home island of Salt Spring.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This grill stand was our choice for lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch at the Velo Exhhibition - Cora and I are having currywurst and Barry is enjoying a Schweinsteak with onions and fries...and of course some German beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting character arrived on his "chopper" bike - the picture doesn't catch his gold shoes...essential for any tour!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Espresso Macchiattos from the "coffee bike".
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry test rode this folding bike in Vienna years ago. It has an amazingly slim profile when folded (in seconds) and is nicely equipped with a Gates belt drive, Brooks saddle and grips....sweet!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltDo you know the name of this interesting folding bike seen at the Velo show and also in Vienna? Looks like it is very limited gear-wise...
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
We had an amazing wander through this Roman city that existed here during the Roman Empire. It was originally established as a military fortress and over a century it grew into a Roman city of over 2000 people.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0