Waiting out the Weather: thunderstorms, flooding, etc! - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2016

Waiting out the Weather: thunderstorms, flooding, etc!

Germany and France have been experiencing extreme weather the past few weeks, which has delayed the start of our cycling trip. We have been watching the internet weather sites with their daily warnings of thunderstorms, rain and the threat of flash floods. The Moselle River has flooded in parts and some of the campgrounds have closed due to flooding. A subway station in Frankfurt had two feet of water running through it yesterday. The weather appears to be improving and hopefully we will be able to start riding in a few days.

Flooding in a subway station in Frankfurt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Extreme weather in Germany!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have been attempting to ride the Moselle for a few years, and each time we change our plan and go in a different direction. It seems ironic that when we finally have committed to a plan that includes the Moselle, that the conditions have been less than ideal. We are very optimistic that we will be able to enjoy the beauty of the Moselle better with a delayed start.

Georg has been away this week at a conference in the Alps. His return travel has been complicated by a rock slide that was caused by heavy rain. It is blocking the only road out of the valley where he has been staying, so he will detour to Salzburg to get home.

As usual, we appreciate how hospitality of the Reitz family while we wait out the weather.

We have certainly not been suffering while "waiting out the weather". Cora is a wonderful cook. She is wearing the apron that we brought back to her from Italy last year.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch- Reitz style...meat balls stuffed with sheep cheese, spelt and veggies....delicious!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0