Elburg to Puttan - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2016

Elburg to Puttan

Today we found it hard to tear ourselves away from Elburg, the town, and the campground. I think that we are at a point in our travels, where we are craving spending more time in one place. As well, we really liked Elburg.

As rain is predicted for tonight and the next 3 days, the riding was hot and humid today. Lots of people were out riding as we made our way along Veluwemeer. We stopped at a farm for homemade ice cream. What made this stop unique was that the restaurant and shop was in a windmill dating back to the 1700's.

The countryside was pretty but there wasn't anything outstanding in the ride. Our objective is to head south after we visit Harderwijk, another ancient Hanseatic town which was a fishing village along the Zuiderzee, and then head to De Hoge National Forest and visit Kroller Muller Museum. We visited this Art Museum 3 years ago with its magnificent Van Gogh collection and open air Sculpture Garden. We are keen to spend some time here again.

Harderwijk was a bit of a letdown for us to explore as the harbour lacked the historic charm of Elburg and much of its historic centre focuses on shopping and restaurants. We preferred the small town charm of Elburg and its impressive harbour.

We chose a more direct route to Puttan as we are trying to beat the storm. We got there in no time and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel and its expansive resort style grounds. The reception clerk was surprised that we were able to get the last room in this fully booked hotel at the last minute and at such a good price. Lucky us!

We have really taken advantage of Nature Kamping in the Netherlands this trip. To camp at a Nature Kamp, you need a membership which is included in the small book you purchase with information about each site.Each campground has been exceptional with spacious designated areas for your pitch and a peaceful, quiet atmosphere. Pictured is the area where we camped at Elburg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A nicely equipped lounge at the Nature Kamp in Elburg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ready to go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have been following the Zuidderzee route for some time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Netherlands is a "happy place" for Barry - not only does the Albert Heijm grocery store offer free coffee - it is also offered at the COOP and Jumbo grocery stores. We are impressed by the quality as each cup is freshly ground and you choose espresso, cafe creme, macchiatto, cappuccino - whatever you like.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As so often happens to us because of our bike and trailer, we were approached by these enthusiastic people from Belgium (Netherlands born). The woman on the right was really excited for us and they were so supportive of what we are doing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the medieval gates of the walled fortified town of Elburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The historic wooden boats in the harbour at Elburg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A picturesque historic spot in Elburg and a good place to make our lunch. Even with the breezes from the water, it is so hot and humid today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The historic wooden boats "Botters" of the 19th century proudly sit in the harbour and many are available for hire.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elburg harbour
Heart 1 Comment 0
..a final look at the harbour before we head out
Heart 0 Comment 0
Decorative detail on one of the Bottons in Elburg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A quirky souvenir of Holland - a frog prince with tulips...why not?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were happy to escape the heat and humidity of the day and go into the windmill, especially with the incentive of farm made ice cream.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The shop and cafe in the windmill were charming.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice to turn the inside lobby of the windmill into a shop and cafe! :)
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
This wonderful shop with locally sourced products from the farm is located inside a windmill from the early 1800's.
Heart 1 Comment 0
While stopped at the windmill for ice cream, we watched this side tandem arrive with this young woman and her 97 year old grandmother riding together. Tandems like this are at her grandmother's care home and are used to get their residents out for fresh air and to enjoy a bike ride with the support of a captain and e-motor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were impressed by the opportunity that this motorized bike with a captain gives this woman who had been a lifelong cyclist. She could hardly walk, but she got on the bike and enjoyed it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wooden shoes are still commonly used in the Netherlands as you can see in this shoe rack outside the door of this farmhouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A champion baker on the outskirts of Harderwijk. This bakery dates back to 1839.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bakery is in a well preserved historic building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The delivery bike for the bakery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This elusive cat was watching us from the window above the bakery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 2,584 km (1,605 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0