to Elburg Nature Kamp Old Putten - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2016

to Elburg Nature Kamp Old Putten

We shared the camping field by the canal with another couple who had cycled from their home in Groningen. Camping here was blissfully quiet and picturesque.

The only down-side is that the condensation is becoming heavier everyday. We can't remember a time when our tent is so drenched inside and out in the morning. It feels like the ground has taken so much water this summer/spring that anything that touches it is wet.

It was one of those days, that despite the sunshine and good riding, we were tired and lacked motivation. Music helped to get us going. Bringing our ipod loaded with music is one of Barry's good ideas.

We had a very nice ride today with vibrant interesting villages. This made us reflect on one of the reasons that France did not work for us this year. The region of northern France that we were travelling in has little of interest in the villages. Few young people live there and the businesses that defined village life have closed down...no bakeries, corner shops, butchers, etc. In contrast, the Netherlands offers so much to a travelling cyclist as each village has an infrastructure to cater to you and services that make your day interesting.

As we were riding in the countryside, we noticed some storks feeding on the grass. We counted at least 24 in one section. Soon they all soared together above us - it was quite a sight.

We saw a number of "Rust" stops and stopped at one. It was delightful....coffee, tea, fresh apple juice, cakes...whatever you like. And best of all, a toilet was available for us including toilet paper.

We haven't been in a good sized city in a while - we seem to be mostly in rural areas and villages, which we do prefer. However, in the Netherlands, the cycling routing is so well done, that it is never difficult to enter or navigate a city. There was a festival in full swing when we entered Kampen. The streets were lined with vendors, musicians and artists - crowds were huge - so we carried on and didn't explore apart from walking our bike through the crowds. Kampen did look interesting with well preserved old buildings and huge parks.

Riding in to Elburg, we could feel the history of this area which used to be the site of fishing villages along the open Zuiderzee before Ijsselmeer Dyke was completed in 1932. . The history of this ancient Hanseatic town is so evident in its narrow cobbled lanes, medieval walls and portals, old wooden boats in the harbour and 250 listed buildings. It is charming.

The Nature Camp is an oasis within the town with wonderful amenities in the clubhouse and spacious, verdant areas for campers.

A good camping spot for us, once again. The Netherlands continues to provide us with excellent camping. We are getting to the point however, where we are having trouble remembering where we are or the name of the town where we've been. For the life of me, I am having trouble remembering the name of the village nearby.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were lucky today to see dozens of storks in one place. They were feeding in the field by the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Storks have been a common sight today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Storks are magnificent birds, especially when you see their wings fully extended.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
At one point we counted 25 storks soaring overhead. A few moments earlier they were in the field by the trail, and then they spontaneously as a group took off. It was quite a sight.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Reed roofs continue to fascinate us- especially the Dutch style of building in which the roof line comes very close to the ground
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dutch homes are so interesting for us - we enjoy seeing the reed roofs, shutters and landscaping - most often surrounded by water.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Even treehouses and play houses have reed roofs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Who couldn't stop for these delightful faces? certainly we do. The one on the left was so curious and affectionate. We couldn't help the other one overcome his shyness, but he stayed close.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Trike velomobiles make good companions for Seavo. It isn't often that another bike dwarfs our tandem. Seavo actually looks quite compact in comparison.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We pulled in to explore a wildlife and nature park based in this vast water reserve area. Here is an "insect hotel" and bird feeding station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The water reserve has lovely gardens.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, I've never seen a flower like that!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
These cottages and gardens are part of the Water Reserve Park.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A very protective mother and a fascinating hair cut.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This young llama was very curious about us but the older llamas were very protective.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We couldn't figure out why all the homes and buildings were decorated with colourful banners. Tomorrow is the annual "Corso" festival for the region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rust stops are usually in the countryside and are a welcome sight for cyclists. Dutch hospitality at its finest.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The sign at the Rust stop tells you that some of things available are coffee, tea, cake and fresh apple juice.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Inside the Rust stop
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Rust stop with lots of seating, the little cabin with refreshments and the bathroom!
Heart 1 Comment 0
This grandmother in traditional garb is out for a ride with her family.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This family of five are out for a ride. The twin babies are in a basket behind the mom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kampen - a quirky clock tower with a cow suspended from the top.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We're not sure why the cow is dangling here - maybe it has something to do with the festival that is happening?
Heart 0 Comment 0
A town gate in Kampen - this historical city looked interesting, but sometimes on a cycling trip, you just have to keep going and not stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked this statue in the park in Kampen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kampen - part of the festival festivities.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking through the streets of Kampen.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 2,540 km (1,577 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0