Battling headwinds along the canal: camping at a former 13th century Abbey and 17th century castle - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2016

Battling headwinds along the canal: camping at a former 13th century Abbey and 17th century castle

We left Camping GT and about 10 km down the road we came upon a village with a wonderful patisserie. It reminded us of our memories of France and eating fine pastries.

The winds are very strong and we will battle it all day as it is against us. We are pushing as hard as we can and the highest speed we can achieve is about 12 km/hr. We are determined to reach a camping spot by the village of Walems, but it is tempting to stop sooner.

We stopped for a break to see the delightful historic town of Lier. The square is beautiful and provides a wonderful display of Flemish architecture. We wandered through the town - a worthwhile detour.

Belgian Patisseries are wonderful - great pastries, homemade chocolates, cakes...and best of all, free coffee (freshly ground). We like this side of Belgium as grocery stores and specialty stores often offer free espresso quality coffee.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our choices for a morning treat: apple tart and raspberry pie with a creamy topping and meringue - yummy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Traditional Belgian homes have shutters and clay roofs - we have only seen a few thatched roofs - and this one has both.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting to see a house with a clay roof and also partly thatched!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
When we saw this horse, we wondered if it was unwell as it was lying quite still. Then suddenly it went crazy having a dirt bath. It really was having fun.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A summer camp for kids across the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fresh homemade ice cream from the farm: pistaschio/stratiacello and chocolate vanilla with Belgian waffle cookies.
Heart 1 Comment 0
De Hoeve ice cream - delicious. As we rode by we noticed the pretty courtyard with dozens of tables and chairs. We didn't realize that it was an ice cream place until we rode in. People drive their cars and ride their bikes from all over to enjoy this ice cream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a great face and hair style. "Are you talking to me?"
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Such history on full display in the town of Lier. The town hall and its tower dating back to 1369.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some of the buildings around the town square in Lier - liked the small balcony on the corner and could imagine someone standing there watching the scene centuries ago.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The canal runs through Lier and you get the sense that, apart from the modern cars and electric lights, the street is as it was centuries ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical sight - multi coloured shutters
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lier: the canal with Flemish buildings
Heart 0 Comment 0
another view of the canal in Lier
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roosendaal - a unique camping experience.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The grounds are quite extensive filled with hiking trails and some farm animals. Roosendaal has an interesting history - it was an Abbey in the 1300's, then a castle in the 1700's - most was destroyed during WW1 - and now has been maintained with a restaurant, campground (tenters only!) and a site to visit the remains of its grand buildings. Parst of the original wall remain, an archaeological dig exposes original buildings, sculptures and art installations are here for the summer and one of the manor houses now hosts groups for special events. It is a special place.

Camping at Roosendaal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are very few campgrounds which have an entrance gate like this one - Roosendaal.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 853 km (530 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0