Riding Along Beautiful Belgian canals: camping - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2016

Riding Along Beautiful Belgian canals: camping

Well, it was bound to happen...with the heavy rains and flooding, the mosquitoes have arrived. They are pretty sluggish, so it is not so bad.

We were so grateful to finally find the camping yesterday. The Belgian personality is perplexing to us. We have heard that they are very reserved in the north and this must be the case. As we stood by the trail, studying the Garmin and looking at the regional recreation map on the board, we couldn't get any help. We finally flagged down a woman who stopped and helped us. The irony was that, as the crow flies, the campground was quite close, but there was an extensive nature reserve, a canal and a village in the way. We tried to compare the Garmin and the map (which didn't show any camping) but no roads or trails went to it.

Camping GT is comprised of full time campers and residents with a nicely treed area for tenting. We were the only tenters, and we got the impression that not many cyclists or tenters come here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a great sleep and enjoyed breakfast "by trangia" - thanks Barry.

These long river working boats fascinate us. They all have living quarters on the back and most have cars on the rear deck as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riding in Belgium and touching Holland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Camping 2 nights in a row...yeah! This place is massive - over 700 sites but we are on the perimeter with a view of the man made lake, so we aren't in the middle of the chaos.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 791 km (491 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0