A day to explore Ghent - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2016

A day to explore Ghent

We are very happy to be staying two nights at the Youth Hostel in Ghent. Originally we had booked for 1 night, but once we arrived and saw the beauty of this city, we decided to stay. Plus, our bodies are telling us that we need some time off of the bike to recover from the hard push of fighting headwinds.

The Youth Hostel is situated in the middle of the historic centre in a typical old Flemish building. It has been renovated and we have a top floor room (no elevator!) with a skylight window and a view of the area. It is great. We walk out the front door to a cobbled courtyard by the canal, cross a small bridge and we're at the castle. This place and city will give us wonderful memories of a unique place in Europe.

The castle of the Counts, Gravensteen. The Youth Hostel is located about 100 metres from here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the countless, pretty bridges in the historic centre of Ghent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ghent is home to over 70,000 university students.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hundreds of Belgian beers and a glass for everyone
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hardware made out of Belgian chocolate
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's amazing all those tools are made of chocolate!!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
All Belgian chocolate is delicious, but Daskalides has the reputation of being one of the finest. We bought a small box to sample them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
St Nicholas Cathedral has been the church of the merchants and traders since the 13th century. The many guilds who historically have sponsored this church, each have a chapel in this church. As a result of this wealth, everything is oversize and grand in the extreme.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Using laser beams to hang artwork in the cathedral with the utmost precision.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Belfry - a Unesco heritage site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of the back of St. Nicholas Cathedral..you can see the many individual chapels where the gothic windows frame the back. The design of this church is unusual, as the main chapel is huge and in the centre of the building with the individual chapels surrounding it in the back.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Preparations for the Ghent Fest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy, curious kids enjoying a ride with their dad. We were impressed by how calm each of them were in the chaos of this busy street with no designated area for bikes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An amazing Belgian grocery story. We bought chicken and salads for our dinner. In the middle of the store is a high end restaurant.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The famed 3 tower view of St Nicholas, the Belfry and St. Bavo's Cathedral. The city's skyline is dominated by the spires of the many churches and they are a testament to the city's rich heritage and history. A local non-profit society, MKN (translates Monumental Churches of Ghent) has worked hard to create free and easy access to the five significant cathedrals within walking distance of the old centre of Ghent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Next week is the Ghent fest. It is a huge event and it takes days of preparation to get things ready.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A number of stages were being constructed along the river for the fest
Heart 0 Comment 0
We couldn't count the number of stages and venues being set up throughout the city. No corner was left untouched. The people of Ghent tell us that this is an extraordinary event to attend, but the city and all available accommodation will be full. We are kind of relieved to be here now while it is quiet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This cyclist got a free ride from the crane operator who was changing light bulbs along the streets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful doorknob that caught our eye.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner in our hostel room
Heart 1 Comment 0
Delicious Belgian chocolates for dessert
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0