To Ghent: the heat and headwinds stay with us - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

July 10, 2016

To Ghent: the heat and headwinds stay with us

At our B&B, we wanted to relax and stay put. When we mentionned that we didn't want to go out for dinner and would prefer to cook, our host at the B&B graciously set up the picnic table with a tablecloth, 2 Belgian beer (with the appropriate glass of course!) etc. It is often a conundrum, where and how to cook, when we stay at a Hotel or Guesthouse but he made us feel at home.

There is no bathroom in the room (we did have a sink that is housed in a wardrobe) but it helped that they provided us with robes to go the toilet and shower downstairs.

The forecast for today is predicting more wind, some rain and high temperatures with humidity. Our goal is to reach Ghent and sightsee in this "hidden gem" of Belgium. From all accounts, the historic centre is a visual education in Flemish architecture and history.

We met a very nice couple on the (free) ferry across the Schelde River. They were out for a Sunday ride in the early morning as they were tying to avoid the heat this afternoon.

Our hosts at our B&B. Today is our 31st anniversary - what a great way to celebrate, doing something we love to do together. Our hosts are still happily married and they will celebrate their 46th in a few weeks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Talking Tour de France with this local couple on the ferry. They're out for a morning ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving Sint Amande in the morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Painted white brick is a common feature here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So many hydrangeas..
Heart 1 Comment 0
We love seeing the "old" way of raking and piling hay. Hot work though!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A strange site on the bike route
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we were riding into Ghent we watched a bicycle race speed by
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have arrived in Ghent. Even after a cold shower, we are still pretty hot from the ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The canal adjacent to the Youth Hostel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Belgium is world renowned for its excellent beer and every beer needs its own special glass
Heart 0 Comment 0
Belgium- beer and bikes
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a beautiful city.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGhent is on my list to see! :)
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Hamburgers,fries and beer in a beautiful setting - a memorable anniversary.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 953 km (592 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0