I was concerned: What were we going to do now? - The Really Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2015

I was concerned: What were we going to do now?

It rained all night long and for much of the next morning which made some of the gravel roads we chose to navigate somewhat interesting. We also had to stop for quite a long time for me to replace my worn brake pads and cables as I wasn’t getting enough braking force. This was a process which took a long time, mostly because I had to remove the hundred or so layers of tape that were wrapped around my handlebars before I could get at the cables. During the long delay Dea ate a lot of food and saw a really big spider. She wasn’t scared though, she’s not the kind of girl who gets scared by big spiders.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the afternoon it stopped raining and we had a long climb up on a steep gravel road. It was a tough climb, but also really, really nice, as it took us up into rainforest shrouded with clouds. A beautiful and mysterious place to be:

Heart 1 Comment 0

Over the top of the climb we came out of the forest and into farmland, which was good primarily because we could buy some eggs. We cooked and ate these at our campsite in the village of Comboyne. Once again the countryside was bordered with fences, so we made do with a patch of grass behind the village hall as a makeshift camp ground.

The cows were there to make sure we put our money in the honesty box
Heart 2 Comment 0

The next day was much of the same, although the weather was much better all round. The route we took was really on roads-less-travelled. Dirt tracks through the forest with no traffic. For me it was perfect cycling, but unfortunately the combination of bumpy roads and steep descents took their toll on poor Dea.

Heart 0 Comment 0

By afternoon Dea was saying that she was suffering with pain in her wrists. She had previously had tendonitis and I knew that was an affliction that once suffered, usually reoccurred. I could see that she was in pain but we had few options, being out in the forest as we were. So we continued, slowly, taking breaks and hoping that things would get better.

Heart 0 Comment 0
On one of our long breaks Kevin took the chance to do some laundry
Heart 1 Comment 0

Unfortunately things did not get any better and with an hour of daylight still left we decided that it would be better to stop. Dea was really suffering, she was complaining of a lot of pain in her wrists and I knew that she was not the sort to complain lightly. I searched the forest nearby until I found a good spot then I went back and found my poor companion. She was suffering so much that I even had to push her bike for her into the trees, and then unload and carry each of her bags into the tent. Our bike ride in paradise had taken a worrying turn. We were suddenly stranded alone in the forest, with our food and water supplies low, and Dea could no longer cycle. I was concerned. What were we going to do now?

24/08/15 – 45km

25/08/15 – 44km

Today's ride: 89 km (55 miles)
Total: 46,615 km (28,948 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0