Another nice sunny day: It's just a movie montage - The Really Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

July 27, 2015

Another nice sunny day: It's just a movie montage

We had camped in a spot that was quite exposed and I had a restless night, constantly disturbed by the wind lashing at the flysheet. At one point during my fitful night I thought that I heard the familiar sound of a koala grunting, and for a moment got quite excited, until it turned out that it was just Dea snoring.

The next morning brought calm and another nice sunny day, the entire duration of which we spent on the peaceful rail-trail. It was once again just wonderful and I kept questioning if it was all real. After all the difficult and lonely kilometres to get here, how amazing it was to be cycling on a bicycle track through lovely scenery with the most beautiful girl in the world. In the movie all of this final ride to Gold Coast will most likely be condensed into a single montage, with Ryan Gosling and Charlize Theron smiling inanely as they cycle past kangaroos and koalas and wombats to some upbeat soundtrack.

Heart 2 Comment 0
A water supply point on a remote section of rail-trail
Heart 3 Comment 0
All of us together at the largest truss bridge
Heart 3 Comment 0
It was rather large
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

And we really did cycle past a wombat today. Dea spotted it first, and whispered to me to stop and be quiet. And there it was, right next to the trail, munching on the grass, or something in the grass. With wombats being primarily nocturnal creatures we felt very lucky to see this one out and about during the day and it seemed entirely unperturbed by our presence, if it was aware of us at all. For a few glorious minutes we observed the animal before eventually it grew cautious and half-ran and half-waddled away down a track into the forest.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 45,354 km (28,165 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0