Day 46 Villa Manihuales - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

December 7, 1999

Day 46 Villa Manihuales

Camping

Today we know we will arrive at the stretch of road we've been told as being very bad, with construction and loose gravel. We just don't know when but believe it to be the last 15kms before Villa Manihuales.

We first need to find bread in Villa Amangual. The village looks to be a planned village. The houses the same except for color. Street signs and garbage bins with little roofs over them. There is a small shop Patrick finds a few things. The he goes off on the mission to find bread sold from one of the houses. He finally returns with success, at least with bread though not the most appetizing, it is very heavy but slices nicely. We follow a beautiful lago los torres with peaks and condors.

Just as we start the construction zone, we meet two cyclists from Germany. They too had stayed in Chonchi and had John & Kim's map. 

The road is very bad. Big heavy trucks zoom past us in each direction. Sometimes the gravel is so loose our wheels spin and we have to walk our bikes. It takes us 2.5 hours for the 15 kms and mostly going downhill. We can see the town, but the last stretch seems to go on and on and on.

There is a Copec gas station so we can get more fuel for the stove. We find the camping area, there is no caretaker. The campground has huge oversized picnic tables, and the toilets don't work. We heat water for a sponge bath. A local boy watches us fix dinner of meat spaghetti and he has a serving with us.

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 2,010 km (1,248 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0