Introduction: Paper journal to Digital - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

Introduction: Paper journal to Digital

We found this to be an interesting exercise of transcribing a paper journal from 1999-2000 to digital in 2022. 

We notice after comparing a 2 year tour prior to this one and 3 long tours after, that there are certain themes that stay the "same, same, but different". And many themes one sees threading through many other cyclists journals.

In retrospect, this was a transition tour and we see how over the years  things evolved: Money management moved from Traveller's checks and credit cards to ATMs and credit cards; the internet that was non existent on our first tours, moved from internet cafes and libraries to many people having their own devices; pictures moved from slide film where the number of pictures one could take was limited to whether slide film could be carried or replaced, to digital and any number of photos taken and the best kept.

We toured together in Africa in 1994. When we married and settled in Boise Idaho in 1995, our plan was to work a year or two and then travel again. Rachel having lived in Prescott AZ in the 70s and didn't buy property; then Missoula in the 80s also not buying property; then Seattle in the early 90s also not a property owner, looked around Boise and said "we've got to get into a house". 

So in 1996 we bought a house.

Heart 0 Comment 0

In Summer of 1999, our friends who had moved to Seattle, called and said "We are moving back to Boise, and didn't you want to travel again because we will house sit for you." 

Within a few months, by October, Rachel had a leave of absence from her job as an RN in the OR and Patrick quit his job. We packed up, John and Susan our house sitters moved in, and we were on our way to South America.

 Over the years not only had a few things changed cycle touring, but also our house. Travelling is nice, and it's nice to come home too.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0