Day 30 Rest Day in Puerto Montt - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

November 21, 1999

Day 30 Rest Day in Puerto Montt

We have breakfast of kuchen and white bread with butter and marmalade. Amazing what small things seems like a treat. There is a big plate of fruit in the center of the table: bananas, oranges and apples. A glass of juice and the hot water thermos for tea and hot mild for cafe con leche.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We head out early and walk to the waterfront to "angelmo". We find the office of Navimag Ferry line and told there are no ferries from Quellon to Chaiten. The ferry from Puerto Natales in in port and people are unloading. We continue past a few open artisans stalls. It's still early and only a few have opened for the ferry that has just docked. Most sell the same goods: wooden bowls, woolen sweaters, hats and gloves.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We reach the end of angelmo with the produce open air market and the food stalls selling meals of curanto and fresh fish. We walk back to city centro and find a travel agency that tells us Transmarchilay has a ferry from Quellon to Chaiten Wednesdays only. The ride from Puerto Montt to Quellon is at least a three day ride.

We return to the hostel and rest awhile. In the afternoon we venture out again to Angelmo. Patrick sits at the waters edge while Rachel shops, she finds a mirror to buy. Lunch at Asturias with a friendly waiter in a white shirt and black tie, tables with purple table clothes and a menu in English. Patrick has fresh mussels and Rachel broiled salmon. Before we leave the waiter gives us a book to write in recommendations as other travelers have done.

We return to the hostel then for dinner, oh no don't say it, oh yes...we return to MacDonalds. Patrick mentions he has a tooth that is hurting. That may require us to look at our plans about catching the Wednesday ferry.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0