Day 31 Rest Day in Puerto Montt: Finding a dentist - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

November 22, 1999

Day 31 Rest Day in Puerto Montt: Finding a dentist

Patrick's toothache is getting worse.

This morning he decides it is not going away by itself and we'll have to find a dentist. Patrick first tries the Dutch consulate for advice, but they seem to have left town. The address isn't right and both phone numbers tried go nowhere. We make quite the tour of town looking for a dentist until an assistant that speaks very good English refers us to a certain dentist in a building full of dentists.

Well, to make a very long story short, that dentist isn't in his office, the door is locked, but when we walk into a dentist office next door, Patrick strikes gold!

The dentist has a German assistant that speaks German and English and since Patrick speaks German all will be able to communicate with each other. The dentist takes two x-rays of the tooth in question and finds the possible problem. Patrick will need a root canal on a tooth with a very deep filling. We agree to move ahead, and he goes at it right away. A half hour later no more toothache!

Tomorrow he will put in a filling, we will have to stay in Puerto Montt. This means we will miss this Wednesday ferry from Quellon to Chaiten, the only one for a week, but this issue with the tooth had to be taken care of first. 

Rachel goes out to exchange two books at the travel office, a nice service. Later in the evening we go to the food court in a downtown mall and Patrick has Chinese fast food, Rachel KFC.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0