Day 29 Puerto Montt: asphalt road and views of Volcano Osorno - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

November 20, 1999

Day 29 Puerto Montt: asphalt road and views of Volcano Osorno

Hostel Gonzales

We are the only people in the campground in Ensenada except for workers fixing up the grounds. We get a slow start this morning, not on the road until 930am.

Last night Volcano Osorno was beautiful in the fading glow of the sunset. The ride follows Lake Llanquihue and has some pretty steep hills, but negotiable now that we are on asphalt. 

While we have lunch on a hillside overlooking the lake and Volcano, we dry the tent. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch spot and drying the tent
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrive in Puerto Varas about 1230 just as the wind is picking up. We explore the possibility of a horse trek on the gaucho trail. Time to do other things depends upon the time the ferry will cross from Quellon to Chaiten.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We are still early before the tourist season that brings more people, but also increases the schedules for tours and ferries. We are told a ferry goes once a week on Saturdays only. Today is Saturday.

We enjoy German Kuchen and juice in the park and discuss our options. We decide to continue on to Puerto Montt. Now it is after 1:30 with a stronger wind, and we are cycling into the wind.

We arrive in Puerto Montt and find the hostel. As we ride up one of the German cyclists comes out of the hostel and says, "Same book" referring to the guidebook.

Hostel Gonzales
Heart 0 Comment 0

We check in for 4000Pesos/per person ($8) including breakfasts. We shower with a temperamental faucet for regulations of hot water. Later we go for dinner.... oh, can this be true...a Big Mac Dinner at MacDonalds. Time for some familiar food. The main street into centro each street sign has a round sign on top of the pole advertising MacDonalds. We walk near the water but there is a cold wind blowing and we don't linger.

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,365 km (848 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0