Week 2: To Limburg and beyond: following the Lahn River - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 8, 2015

Week 2: To Limburg and beyond: following the Lahn River

Slowly we are remembering that we are not in Kansas anymore. At home, have become accustomed to having everything open all the time and being able to get anything we need at anytime. Not anymore. First, was Easter and second Easter day where nothing was open. Internet is not so easily available. Then today, the camping ground we planned to stay in was closed, not yet open for the season.

At Koblenz, we pick up the bike Route 7 that will follow mostly bike paths and then on roads back through villages meandering along the Lahn River. Patrick is great at picking up the small signs with green arrows and green bike indicating the direction of the path. Sometimes following the Lahn, then a bridge over to the other side and back again, then going on through villages around a business or under the railroad, constantly looking for the small sign.

We get to Diez outside Limburg and decide to continue onto Runkle to camp. People are helpful, one man stops us going in the wrong direction where bikes are not allowed and another tells us how nice the campground is at Runkle. This we will never know, it was closed.

At the tourist information center in Runkle, Patrick learns the campground at Odersbach is open so we continue on. This makes for a long day, rewarded with 2 bottles of beer, a clean shower and not cooking tonight. Instead, we have Pizza and saving our planned meal of spaghetti for another day.

One of the many obstacles encountered on the bike Route 7
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nice idea, but don't think the locales follow the sign
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our break of nutella and good bread....along with the waterbottles given to use by our friend Neal Bloomquist from the bike shop in Carbondale Illinois. Neal has left us leaving a hole in our hearts and his wife, Anita.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Outside the tourist information center in Runkle
Heart 1 Comment 0
Verboten doesn't usually apply to cyclists....the bike path was closed but still passable by bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 101 km (63 miles)
Total: 537 km (333 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0