To Duttendorf / Giessen: a change of plan. - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 9, 2015

To Duttendorf / Giessen: a change of plan.

We've decided to not take a rest day but to cycle two short days. Another cold morning, the dew has frozen on our panniers, the tent is soaking wet also from the dew. Just outside the campground is a bakery, so that is our first stop for a pastry for breakfast, and rolls for later in the day.

Across the Lahn River we re-join the R-7 bike path. This is definitely becoming a love-hate relationship with this bike route!! Sometimes it's beautiful following the river, then turning at right angles away and up into the hills, then under the railroad or just into the fields. We do more kilometers than if we just followed the road, however the secluded sections make it worthwhile. The signage is excellent, though when going through a village it takes concentration and paying attention not to miss the little sign with a green arrow and green bike.

We find a campground by a lake just west of Giessen. We are shown a site for the tent behind an unrented cabin. After setting up the tent to dry, hanging on a clothesline our clothes and sleeping bags to air and dry, Patrick heads to the shower only to return quickly. No hot water until after 5pm. We read and relax, Patrick makes several attempts to get internet connection, unsuccessfully. How quickly we've become used to needing the internet. When first cycle touring in 1992-94, there was no internet. Mail was collected at Poste Restante periodically and no blogs, journals were hand written. We are choosing to do both...still doing the old fashioned hand written journal as well as this site.

Then the end of the perfect day....we fix our first cooked meal on the road....spaghetti!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Finally feeling like we are cycle touring....our first cooked meal of spaghetti, of course.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Idaho Potato made of fudge given to Patrick by his colleagues on his last day of work....carried on the bike for 586kms
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 586 km (364 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0