to Sehithwa: 107F is too hot! - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 10, 2015

to Sehithwa: 107F is too hot!

Patrick noticed last night that Rachel's tire had a slow leak and we hoped for the best this morning. We are up, packed and the tire is flat. We decide to go to the Shell station by the hotel to fix the flat while waiting for the light to be enough to ride.

And nothing much changes with the landscape and road. There are two towns with signs but nothing there. We are carrying two 5 liter containers of water. In Francistown, we bought plenty of Re-hydrate sports packets to add to water. The air is dry, and the temperature rises as the day progresses. We can't quench our thirst.

Then, 15kms from Sehithwa, Rachel has another flat tire. One more and a new tire goes on the wheel! The first lodge we planned to stay at was closed, then we found another hotel. As a backup we've heard other cyclists camp by the gas station.

Today was hot, hot, hot! And tomorrow more of the same.

Starting out with fixing another puncture. After having no flats for over 8000km, our aging tires are not as resistant any more.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see several dead cows and half a dozen dead donkeys along the road today. Some have been hit by traffic, but most died of starvation or thirst.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small roadside stall where we find a cold sprite.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A Dutch army 4-ton truck just sitting in the desert. "I drove one of these during my army service, they are awesome in rough terrain."
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A second flat tire today. While we are fixing it this nice German-American couple turns around to make sure we are okay.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kalahari scenery. People actually live here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Only a couple of kilometers to Sehitwa.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 109 km (68 miles)
Total: 9,252 km (5,745 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0