Moremi Game Reserve: on safari in the Okavanga Delta - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 9, 2015

Moremi Game Reserve: on safari in the Okavanga Delta

"This is where we are having lunch, right?" Rachel says, as a joke. We are looking at a male lion and three lionesses about 30 feet away.

We drive a little ways from this spot and find shade, where tables and chairs are set up for us in the bush for lunch of chicken, rice and sauce, and salad.

We were picked up at 5:15 by the tour guide in an open safari vehicle. This was easy as it's our regular time of getting up and on the road at first light. It's cold and windy and we've been given blankets for the 35kms paved road turning to corrugated, sandy road of 20kms to the game reserve gate with another 20kms to the Park entrance. These were needed, it's cold.

The first part of the drive is through dry brush and dried up watering holes. Then we get to one of the Okavanga rivers that form the delta. We see herds of elephants and zebras and a pod of hippo. After lunch, we see a lion in short grass stalking antelope that were headed in the lions direction. Then the lion disappears in the tall grass and we wait. Suddenly the antelope turn and run..."the lion missed" our guide says. We leave the water and back through the dry bush, it's such an interesting landscape. Then it's the long ride back to our hotel. It's hot now and there is a pool waiting.

This was a long and beautiful day.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Botswana National Bird...has the colors of the flag
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0