to Motopi: "rescued" by missionaries - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 6, 2015

to Motopi: "rescued" by missionaries

Today was the only day we didn't know of a place to stay and expected to bush camp. There is nothing along this stretch of road, rarely seeing people, no shops to buy water or a cold drink. There are clusters of huts that may or may not have water. Though we still had some water, it is not enough to bush camp, so we decided to leave the main road to Maun and go 3kms to Motopi. We figured we could camp at the school (there is usually a water source). Just past the bridge over the Boteti River on the left is the General Store and we stopped for a cold coke.

"Is there a place to camp?" Patrick asks the owner of the general store in Motopi. "Yes, I know a very nice white woman who allows camping, let me call her" he replies. This offer is a pleasant surprise at the end of a very long ride.

The first 40 km clicked off quickly with the wind in our favor. Then as we've learned to expect around 0930-1000 the wind shifts to a crosswind. The road skirts the Makgadikgadi Pans National Park to the south and briefly the Nxai Pan National Park to the north. The landscape continues to change from grass to shrubs with one section adding palm trees. We see lots of ostriches. Patrick says this landscape is perfect for the ostrich, the neck sticks up above the shrubs that hide it's body. One herd of sable crossed the road in the distance, and we keep our eye out for elephants. We know elephants are out there as we see broken trees where they first eat the lower leaves then push the trees over to reach the upper branches.

We are picked up at the General store. On the ride to the house, the lady tells us they are missionaries for the Reformed Church and they offer their place for camping for free for people to experience the beauty. Their place is right on the Boteti River, we have a shelter to pitch our tent out of the sun, and a place to cook dinner. Best of all a shower!

This is a beautiful spot and we enjoy a lovely sunset and feel blessed.

On the road again at first light.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The scenery changes to grasslands with palm trees for a while.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Desolate Kalahari Desert.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Patrick finds his souvenir! "A Botswana license plate to hang in my woodshop."
Heart 1 Comment 0
Found another souvenir! "Not sure how I get this past customs though....."
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rescued in Motopi. We are picked-up and driven to her house on the Boteti River.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 132 km (82 miles)
Total: 9,046 km (5,618 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0