to Maun: let's just get there - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 7, 2015

to Maun: let's just get there

We look out the tent to another beautiful African sunrise over the Boteti River. We said goodbye to our host last night because of our early start. They have given us plenty of water for today's ride. The road from the house to the main road is a 1.2Km push through gray fine sand, the bike wheels don't seem to want to roll. Then 6Kms back through the town gets us back to the road to Maun.

The shrubs and grass disappear and trees become part of the landscape. There was a gentle barely perceptible headwind, though when riding it seemed stronger and the kilometers didn't count up very quickly. We are not certain the distance left to Maun, there are very few distance signs.

Maun is like other Botswanan towns....long drawn out with not an obvious city center. We find a Spar grocery store, then continue on to find Sedia Hotel and Camping. We find a campspot, don't bother pitching the tent yet, it's hot and it's pool time!

Sunrise over the Boteti River
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sand roads in Botswana can be very soft and not ridable on our road tires.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kids on a donkey cart. We see many donkeys today, most are not doing well with the drought and almost no food.
Heart 1 Comment 0
First distance sign for Maun in a long while
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We see many dead cows and donkeys today. The drought it taking its toll.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 97 km (60 miles)
Total: 9,143 km (5,678 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0