to Planet Baobab - Gweta: Thank you wind!! - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 5, 2015

to Planet Baobab - Gweta: Thank you wind!!

"Where do you go today? Ahhhh, you'll be there by one" says the man as we cycle away from the lodge. Another early, first light start.

From the Nata junction, we turned onto the road going to Maun. The surface is good with some potholes, but best of all a shoulder. There is even less traffic today than the yesterday. There is only one town with no shops along the side of the road. Occasionlly a cluster of houses that probably have a water bore hole. We see very few people, mostly we see donkeys, horses, goats and cattle.

Today, the landscape does change, for awhile. After about 16kms, the shrubs change to a golden grass savannah with dry watering holes or pans. Pans are the lowest points that fill with water in the wet season until it evaporates and leaves the minerals behind. Then another 20kms back to shrubs, then a combination of grass with lower shrubs. The road elevation varies only by 40meters throughout the day.

Once again the wind is our friend and we make it to Planet Baobab by 1030. The entrance sign is a planet with a baobab tree topped with a yellow star....just like a picture from the book "The Little Prince". Camping is cheap, 73 pula (7.30 USD) per person, with a round straw roofed shelter for shade. Quickly setting up the tent, a quick shower and quickly doing laundry, we head for the pool.

Where we stayed for the rest of the afternoon.

We're on the road as the sun rises behind us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The road leads us due west. A nice tailwind pushes us along across the flat plains.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Obviously a male baobab tree.
Heart 2 Comment 0
First food stop.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Not much out there. A lot of this land floods during the wet season, creating huge wetlands and a birders paradise.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The "pans" where the water sits until it evaporates leaving the salt behind.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Termite hills and donkeys.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our place for the night.
Heart 2 Comment 0
About one kilometer of driveway.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Arrived on Planet Baobab.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Perfection!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Of course there are Boabab trees at Planet Baobab!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Big baobab trees!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sunset on Planet Baobab
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 97 km (60 miles)
Total: 8,914 km (5,536 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0