to Malatya: but skipped the big hill.... - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2015

to Malatya: but skipped the big hill....

"I'm glad you speak German" Rachel says. Last night, Patrick spoke German to a man helping us check into the hotel. Today, he spoke German with a pick up truck driver and a gas station attendant.

We cycled 25 kilometers up from Darende and not looking forward to having to gain 800 meters for an 1800 meter pass, downhill losing 400 meters only to have to regain in a second climb 200 meters and a total distance of 106 kms. Our goal is to get to Malatya for a tour tomorrow to Nemrut Dagi to see the mountain and the giant stone heads.

The decision is made to try to get a ride over the pass.

Patrick is finally successful in flagging down a pickup truck, the driver speaks German. Turkish drivers will just stop in the road and expect traffic to go around, so we quickly got our gear and bikes in the back of the truck. It's always a push-pull when taking a ride...looking at the scenery through the window of a vehicle is so different from cycling and being a part of the scenery.

After the downhill of the first climb, the road narrowed to two lanes and back to bad asphalt. We are happy not to be cycling this stretch with the second climb!

We are 66 kms from Darende and start cycling again with 40 kms to go and we start the descent into the valley with orchards after orchards of apricot trees. "I think it's funny we've carried apricots all the way from Kayseri" Rachel says as we pass roadside stand after roadside stand selling dried apricots.

We stop at a gas station for a coke. The attendant starts speaking German to Patrick. It's Ramadan and restaurants are closed, but the attendant sells us cokes and says it's OK for us to eat because we are not Muslim.

Malatya is a long drawn out city and takes us awhile to get to the city center and our hotel. We now will have a more relaxed morning tomorrow for the tour.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Turkish sheep dogs have a reputation amongst cyclists for being ferocious defenders of their flock. They seem to consider cyclists a threat. This one acts a bit sheepish when Patrick shouts at him and wave the stick he is carrying.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Discussing our route with a gas station attendant who speaks excellent German. Patrick asks him if it is okay for us to eat and drink during Ramadan. He says it is no problem in Turkey and that his religion does not allow him to tell other people what to do.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Village with apricot orchards beyond.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived in Malatya and found our Palace Hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yup, that sign outside Kesan planted a seed we could no longer ignore: it is time for a whopper.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 3,970 km (2,465 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0