to Nemrut Dagi: overnight tour - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2015

to Nemrut Dagi: overnight tour

Yesterday, we packed a few things we would need overnight, left our bikes and rest of our gear at the hotel and joined a Turkish family of four on an overnight tour to Nemrut Dagi.

The National Park of Mount Nemrut is an extension of the Southeast Taurus Mountains and is 2150 meters high. The drive to the park was about two hours, first on highway then a secondary road through a valley of apricot orchards and wheat fields. Then the road starts to wind up the side of the hills with s-curve after s-curve, switch back after switch back, first climbing then descending but always gaining altitude. Winding up the mountain range and eventually becomes a one lane road.

We reach the Gunes Motel about 13kms from the top where we will stay the night. The motel is nestled in the side of hill with a waterfall to cross over to the entrance. It's very basic but clean. The garden has multiple fish ponds with trout. Guess what we had for dinner!

We had a couple of hours after checking into our room before heading up to the top of the mountain for the sunset. The road becomes gnarly, we will have to go up and down this road twice, once for sunset and once for sunrise.

Heart 1 Comment 0
The road twists and turns up through the hills to the top of the mountain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset at Nemrut Dagi
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
June 21st, the summer solstice at Nemrut Dagi
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0