To Maastricht: cycling along the canal - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 3, 2015

To Maastricht: cycling along the canal

If we had a bike route map, the numbers on the bike path signs would mean something. But we don't have a bike map. Patrick says we just need to keep going south and a little bit east following the canals until the canal meets the Maas River.

The wind is blowing gently from the south. Sometimes the bike path is lower than the canal, other times we ride on the dike near the water. Always in a straight line. Only occasionally we need to cross over a bridge to the other side of the canal.

First stop this morning is for a Belgium éclair, then cycling on later for coffee and a Rice custard pie. Lunchtime we find a restaurant for soup and bread. Our bodies are still getting used to being back on the bikes for longer pieces of time other than riding to work and back home. Our shoulders ache and Rachel's hands are needing to gain strength in gripping the handlebar. We knew this to be part of getting back on the road, just taking the first few days to "train".

We reach Maastricht and find our way to our next Warmshower's host. Luc greets us at the door, feeds us Quiche & Beer after our warm showers. Knowing that Patrick is an architect, Luc has done lots of research and takes us on a walking tour of the city.

First stop this morning is for a Belgium Éclair....On Patrick's RTW trip in 1994 returning home, we toasted his reaching 40,000kms with eclairs
Heart 1 Comment 0
1994 Eclair Toast
Heart 0 Comment 0
To get to Maastricht, Patrick says we just need to go South and follow the canals. Notice how the bike path is lower than the canal. Sometimes we cycled on the dike of the canal, but almost always on a bike path.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Luc, our warmshowers host feeds us Quiche and beer after our hot showers that washes the road away.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Maastricht's art museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Luc, our warmshowers host had research the city architecture and took us on a great walking tour of the city....topped off with a great beer
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bikes of Maastricht, at the train station. One does wonder how they find their bikes.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 84 km (52 miles)
Total: 205 km (127 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0