To Monschau: terrible weather - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 4, 2015

To Monschau: terrible weather

Patrick has brought the small American flag given to him when be became an American citizen, so our route includes a visit to the Margraten American War Memorial Cemetery. He will leave the flag at the grave of an unknown soldier. Patrick had done architecture work at the Veteran's Home in Boise and will send the pictures back to them.

We wake to a drizzle. Luc will still ride with us and show us out of the city to the cemetery. Besides rain, it is cold ride then Luc heads back to Maastricht as we continue on in search of coffee. We find an open café for coffee and appeltart. We watch as the rain continues and decide this is a good day to try our waterproof socks. We have discovered the next big thing not to do without on a long bike trip!!

In the town of Henri Chapelle we stop for a meat croquette and French fries and then head for the Henri Chapelle American War cemetery. We had visited this cemetery once before in 1994, on our way back to Patrick's home town after his around the world trip. Rachel's father landed on Utah beach in July with the second wave during WWII. There is a giant map displaying the movements of troops and we see the emblem of the 8th division Golden arrow, Pathfinders. These soldiers who died here are buried on American soil and the memorial is very respectful of their sacrifice.

Our bodies hurt getting used to being on the bike all day. We climb to 500 meters, it's cold, it sleets and reach the German border with 5kms to go....we get a downhill.

Patrick finds the tourist information office and checks whether any room is available. We have forgotten that it is Easter Weekend and the town is fully booked so we stick to the original plan of camping by the Ruhr river. We find the campground, set up camp, take a hot shower...as always amazing how a hot shower washes away the day on the road...then walk the 1.5kms back to town to look around and have dinner. Back at camp, there is a club house where we can stay out of the cold and reflect on the day. One of the campers gives us a beer....doesn't get any better!

Luc, our warmshowers host, rides with us out of the city. We are now in the Mountains of Holland.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the grave of an unknown soldier in Margraten American War Cemetery, Patrick leaves the flag he received when he became an American Citizen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
After weaving our way between Holland and Belgium the first few days, we reach the border of Germany
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monschau along the Ruhr river
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 275 km (171 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0