To Lakkidi: finding the small roads - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 7, 2016

To Lakkidi: finding the small roads

"I love GPS and Google maps" Patrick says. Today, we weave our way to Lakkidi between main roads and secondary roads with twists and turnoffs to even smaller roads. Something difficult to do with paper maps as many small roads would not be shown. And that's if you can even find a paper map. Rachel likes that it's no longer "I think this is the way" but we know where we are and know we are going the direction we want to go.

Riding out of Thrissur on the main road was much like riding into the city, constant traffic and beeping. We reach a turnoff to a secondary road and the traffic lessened, the beeping didn't. We don't think the India driver would be able to drive without a horn. Our route took us back to the main road briefly then off again to a secondary road. The road becomes rolling and probably climbed 300 meters over the whole day losing all but 25 meters at the end. The nice thing about rolling roads, there are downhills and not having to pedal all the time. The wind helped keep us cooler and because the road constantly turned directions, was not always a headwind.

Small roads are the best for really seeing the country. We stopped by one shop to check the tablet and the owner said "Tea?" Sounded good, so we took a break along with buying cookies. There are snapshots of local life and on a bike can stop to take one. The Indian people seem to love to have their pictures taken. The smaller roads also are a bit quieter.

Before getting into Lakkidi, we took one more rest break and found egg and vegetable puffs. We reach our accomodations for the night Patrick had pre-booked. With nothing more to see in the town than we saw all day, the room is a nice refuge from all the noise of beeping traffic.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait #1
Heart 0 Comment 0
One guy lifts the rock on the other guy's head, who then walks to the retaining wall and chucks it on top. Hard work.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of hammer and sickle markings on the roads of Kerala.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fruit sellers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
GPS and googlemaps have taken us on some small roads today. Here we are happy to see there is indeed a means to cross this river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fisherman in river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our fancy lodgings today...1600 rupee ($24USD)
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 11,040 km (6,856 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0