To Mannarkkad: 37kms rewarded with our first beer in India - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 8, 2016

To Mannarkkad: 37kms rewarded with our first beer in India

"Where are you from?" is usually the first question. "USA" Patrick will answer. "Obama, Barack Obama" smiling, the question and reply directed to Patrick.

Most of the day we are on smaller roads and can find shortcuts on even smaller roads. The landscape is tropical with many coconut trees and rice fields at various stages of growth and harvest. We've been seeing elephant dung on the road and finally spotted our first Asian elephant being washed in the river.

We are adapting to cycling in India. Unlike Africa, there is no need to carry too much water or food, as there are constantly small shops along the road or passing through villages. Our first rest stop, we had a very nice cup of coffee and cookies. The shop owner kept wanting us to sit inside his shop. We wanted to sit outside to keep an eye on the bikes and it was much cooler outside.

Finally, he brought out two stools for us to sit upon. Only a little more down the road, we pass through a village with a bakery shop. We stop and have samosas along with a Pepsi, Rachel also picks out some cookies to try. As we are leaving, a Muslim man starts talking with Patrick, asking his name and what does he do for work. Then surprisingly, he asks Rachel the same questions.

We know we are getting near to our destination for today then see the sign for our hotel. We've been passing by a few toddy shops, and happy to see the hotel has a beer parlour. We check in, it's after 1200, so its beer-thirty! Our first in India!

Guys washing their elephant in the river. It is amazing to see them ordering the animal to lay down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Toddy shop. Here they sell fermented coconut tree sap that is taken from the flower that would otherwise produce a coconut. One of the few sources of alcohol in India. We tried this stuff before with David in Malaysia. Let's just say it is an acquired taste and we'll stick with beer this time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reached our hotel for today. A short ride, but it sets us up for the climb tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 11,077 km (6,879 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0