Week 41: To Thrissur: first along the coast, then turning inland towards the mountains. - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 6, 2016

Week 41: To Thrissur: first along the coast, then turning inland towards the mountains.

"There is no ferry" the shop owner says as we stop for a break. We've cycled about 20kms after taking the ferry from Fort Kochi to Vypin Island. A very nice way to get out of the city. We planned to take the ferry off the North end of the island to a smaller coastal road rather the bridge to the main road. These first 20 kilometers was non stop traffic as we rode past Hindu temples, Mosques and Catholic Churches along with the communist symbol of hammer and sickle.

The shop owner kept giving us different pastries to try. One was like a donut covered in a spice that he said they eat in the mornings. The first bite was ok, then slowly the afterburn of the spice hit. Indian's do like hot spicy foods, even for breakfast. We finished our coffee and decide to continue on the 6kms to the ferry dock. We arrived just as a ferry was leaving. A lesson in learning what to believe the locals tell you. The next ferry was only a short time to wait.

Off the island, the traffic slowly becomes less chaotic. "Every bit of space is used, the only open space are soccer fields" Rachel says. "And people are using those blue tarps to create fences for privacy" Patrick notices the difference from 23 years ago when he travelled in India and people would crowd around and watch every move you made.

As the traffic and people increase, we know we are getting close to Thrissur. We stop for a last break before hitting city traffic and find banana puffs, Patrick had read about puffs in other cyclists journals. "This replaces the rolex" Patrick says. In Uganda, that was a staple for second breakfast, an omelet rolled in a chipati. So now we have "the puffs"!

Patrick has booked a room, this helps riding through traffic with a specific destination. We'd mentioned in an earlier post, the only rule of the road is there are no rules. But there is one. Just keep moving and be predictable.

Leaving "Kevin's Placid Homestay". The owner Henry (he named the homestay after his son) has been very welcoming and helpful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We take a ferry across the channel to Vypin Island. More Chinese fishing nets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerala State is run by a communist goverment.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see mosques, Christian churches and Hindu temples.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait #1
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait #2
Heart 0 Comment 0
Although the road follows the coast we only get to see the sea a couple of times. Here we can access the beach for some photos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishermen relaxing on their nets.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The secondary road is pleasant to cycle on.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 81 km (50 miles)
Total: 10,991 km (6,825 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0