to Kayunga: need bike shop and medic - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 17, 2015

to Kayunga: need bike shop and medic

Today we cross the Nile river by ferry and will leave part of Dan Fox's ashes to become part of the river. Dan was a mountain climber and in 2007 we left some of his ashes on Pang La Pass with the view of Mt. Everest and the Himalayas. He also loved river rafting. Thanks to his wife Laura, he is still having adventures.

The road continues to be dusty and bumpy with rolling hills. We arrive at the ferry crossing with a long enough wait to send Dan on his way. "We will remember you".

Then Patrick's freewheel came apart. The rough roads have not only been tough on us, but on the bikes as well. Stopping at the side of the road, he repairs enough to keep going to Kayunga. Now we have two priorities for Kayunga.

The first is taking care of an infected finger. Patrick had stuck his finger with a sim card needle and Rachel stuck her finger with the needle used to drain the wound. Yes, Rachel knows better than to recap a needle and did it anyway, something she would not have done at work in the OR. We ride directly to the local hospital and get preferential treatment. The waiting room is full, but Patrick is ushered in to see the doctor. We think the visit is supposed to be free, we ask what the fee is, the Doctor says 20,000 shillings ($6 USD) that went directly into his pocket. Rachel takes the prescriptions for antibiotics to a pharmacy to be filled while Patrick deals with the second priority, fixing the freewheel.

Patrick found a shop that had a 7 speed freewheel that he will keep in reserve and then back at the hotel, he repacked the freewheel.

All is good for now.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Last part of the road leading to the ferry
Heart 1 Comment 0
Today we cross the Victoria Nile, about 50km north from where the river starts its long journey from Lake Victoria to the Mediterranean. Since our friend Dan Fox also liked rafting we have decided to set some of his ashes off on a long float trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy Trails Dan!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A local helps get the flower-raft going.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After crossing the Nile on a small ferry we are off towards Kayunga.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick's freewheel disassembles itself. With the friendly help of Peter "a- guy-by-the-side-of-the-road" He gets it back together, but we are missing some of the small bearings inside.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 5,711 km (3,547 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0