to Wobulenzi: more one-lane dirt roads - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2015

to Wobulenzi: more one-lane dirt roads

"Bye Muzungu, bye muzungu, bye muzungu" the children sing in unison as we pass. This is new, the adults say hello muzungu, how are you? where are you going? and the children shout bye bye.

The first 12 kms out of town were paved, except for the road construction that was going on for half of the distance until we turned off the main road.

The day is much the same as yesterday, the road surface bumpy occasionally loose dirt, up and down. By the end of the day, Rachel had counted 26 hills in the last 46 kilometers.

In Kasawo, we had one of the best Rolex so far! Shredded cabbage and tomato was added to the omelet then rolled in a chapati. One stretch of road went through a swampy area much like we went through in the dugout canoe. Anytime there is water at the side of the road, there are men washing down their motorcycles (boda boda). We see more coffee plants and we wonder why we can't get a good cup of coffee here instead of the instant nescafe that we are served.

We are making slow progress to Fort Portal our next big destination, hopefully in time for Rachel's birthday. We've heard from Javier who we cycled with a few days....he is now two days ahead of us. We do shorter distances instead of longer days then rest days.

We have one more day of riding on unsealed roads then back to pavement.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 5,769 km (3,583 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0