to Kamuli: it's too quiet... - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 16, 2015

to Kamuli: it's too quiet...

"That's the first music I've heard this morning" Rachel says as we pass singing from the church this Sunday morning. "That's because there's no electricity here in this area," Patrick points out.

It took awhile to realize the landscape was absent of powerlines and as we passed through villages no loud speakers blaring music. And quiet intense stares with fewer children shouting muzungu, instead mostly adults calling out "how are you?" Occasionally, a child would start running after us trying to keep up and Patrick would say "we've picked up a runner." Then as we get close to Kamuli, powerlines and music.

Uganda's roadsides are less littered than in Kenya. In towns, trash is throw just on the street, but then swept up and burned. The area around the houses are the cleanest dirt ever seen, looks like concrete. With hand-held straw brooms, women sweep the dirt clean, our South African friend, Leana calls this the "sweeping disease".

Gone are the large cornfields seen in Kenya, instead permaculture planting with corn planted amongst the banana trees. We continue to see rice paddies and potato and sugar cane. Every piece of land is planted. In shops, gone are the supersized packaging of common items, now there are single use packages of oil, milk powder, tomato paste, laundry soap.

Again, Javier catches us at our second break. He rides ahead and we see his bike outside a shop as we enter Kamuli. He is eating lunch and we decide also to share a rolex and beans. Then it's time to say goodbye to Javier. We are staying here and he continues on cycling today. It's been fun to share the road with a fellow cyclist. Hopefully, our paths will cross again.

Early morning riding with our shadows
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yesterday's thunderstorms left some mud, but the soil is much sandier and doesn't stick as bad to our tires.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Roadsigns are a novelty all of a sudden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
On their way to church.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kids hauling water from the local well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sharp bike!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Quite the load.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 5,668 km (3,520 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0