to Kamphaeng Phet: another Historic Park - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 13, 2017

to Kamphaeng Phet: another Historic Park

"I need little windshield wipers for my glasses" says Rachel. We are 10km out of town when we start riding through a dense fog that fogs up our glasses. Condensation is dripping from Rachel's helmet. "Look at the water on my arms" Patrick points out the beads of water on the end of his arm hairs.

The wind swirls, rarely a gentle tailwind, sometimes a cross wind, sometimes a headwind. We make good time, seeing one cyclist across the divided highway and we wave to each other. Another time, three cyclists about 15km from Kamphaeng Phet. We all stop and talk to each other across the busy road.

Riding into Kamphaeng Phet, we follow along the moat and old city wall to the Three J Guesthouse. This is an eccentric place with a very nice garden, though the room is small. Each bungalow has a nice porch that makes a good place for the bikes.

We ask about renting a motorbike for the afternoon. The manager is out and the lady checking us in didn't have the authority to adapt to charging for only a half day. So we walk to the Historic Park. Again the admission is free from October to the end of January we now know in honor of the passing of King Adulyadej. We thought we could easily find a ride to the forested section of the park and back to the Guesthouse. No such luck. We walk back.

For dinner, we went to a restaurant just down the street from the Guesthouse. This was a large open air place, the tables had a place for a charcoal bucket and cover to cook the food. The food was spread out on two tables one with meat and vegetables, the other mostly salad and dessert. We had to be coached through the process of selecting then cooking the food in the all you can eat buffet.

The food is great" there are meats, many kinds of seafood, including large shrimp that go fast. As soon as a bucket is brought out the Thai people pile them high on their plates. We get our share though, once when Patrick just misses the last shrimp a girl with a big pile on her plate even hands him a couple.

When we were in Thailand then years ago Rachel had trouble buying clothes because she was not "Thai size" and given XXXLL sizes. We see many more "big and large" Thai people now though, maybe these all-you-can-eat places have something to do with that...?

Nice coffee in Thailand. Hot, iced or frappe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
No spectacular scenery today, just the road and lots of green.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Meeting three other cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Three J Guesthouse in Kamphaeng Phet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice garden at Three J Guesthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kamphaeng Phet Historic Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kamphaeng Phet Historic Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kamphaeng Phet Historic Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kamphaeng Phet Historic Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kamphaeng Phet Historic Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All-you-can-eat buffet place just down the road from our guesthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shrimp on the barbie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dig-in! We get our money's worth. A great meal for about $5 each.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel gets her money's worth just on the desserts. She goes back two times for more.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 27,307 km (16,958 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0