restday Sukhothai: visting the Sukhothai Historic Park - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 12, 2017

restday Sukhothai: visting the Sukhothai Historic Park

"The tire is flat" Patrick tells the lady where we rented the motorbike. We rented the bike last night so we could get an early start. Seems the flat tire plague continues from yesterday.

First, we rode the bike about 50 meters and stopped at a restaurant open for breakfast. A great breakfast of eggs, bacon (yes, Jo Skeats, real bacon!), ham, toast and jam, coffee and a plate of fruit. Hopping back on the bike we got about 100 meters when Patrick noticed the soft tire. We had to wait about a half an hour for the staff at the rental place to show up and give us another bike.

Sukhothai founded in 1238, literally means "dawn of happiness", was the first unified Kingdom of Siam, governed by the Khmer Empire of Angkor. When we get to the entrance gate to Sukhothai Historical Park we find there is no entrance fee charged until January 16. Not sure why, but it might still be because of the King's death. We park the motorbike and walk around the ruins. The park is divided into five different sectors, the walled city being probably the most interesting and easiest to explore. Most interesting is the Wat Mahathat built in the 13th century. Like in Myanmar the buildings were mostly built from bricks and covered with plaster and reliefs. Time has taken its toll. Nearby is Wat Si Sawai with three nice Khmer style towers.

After exploring inside the walled city we have a nice cappuccino frappe and fresh spring rolls, then we head out into the countryside to see other ruins. Lots of people have rented bicycles, this is a nice place to just ride around. We however, rode 27,000 km to get here and are happy to be on a bike with a motor. After doing a large loop around the central area we end up back at the Wat Mahathat parking lot. There are many small restaurants and we just have to try another Pad Thai.

The weather today started off cloudy with drizzle, in the afternoon the low clouds have lifted and the sun has tried to break through making the humidity oppressive. We return the motorbike mid afternoon.

Wat Mahathat Buddha figure and chedi's.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buddha's manicured hands.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Khmer style towers at the Wat Si Sawai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pagoda tree flower in Buddha's hand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lotus flower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lotus flower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wat Mahathat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many of the columns are made from volcanic tuff rock and covered with a smooth plaster.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Large Buddha with long fingers at Wat Si Chum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Getting that previous photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Long delicate fingers at Wat Si Chum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most of the plaster figurines have eroded to this level. Still interesting to see though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the best preserved reliefs we saw today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chedi with elephants. They look like they were recently (re)added.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back at Wat Mahathat. Nice reflection in a lotus pond.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back at Wat Mahathat. Nice reflection in a lotus pond.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0