to Nakhon Sawan: sugarcane but no Ping River - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 14, 2017

to Nakhon Sawan: sugarcane but no Ping River

"Lots of sugarcane roadkill on the road" Rachel says as we run over or avoid sugarcane stalks that have fallen off the trucks.

We get an early start and leave the city behind. Our route follows the Ping River closely on a "white" road. Traffic is fairly heavy though, the road is four lane for awhile and we don't get to the see the river even though we are within a couple of hundred meters. The asphalt is smooth though and we have a slight tailwind that makes us fly. We pass by a big sugarcane plant with lines of big trucks loaded with harvested cane. This area is full of sugarcane, corn, and rice fields and the greenest green you've ever seen.

By noon we stop for a shrimp Pad Thai only about ten kilometers from our intended destination. We discuss our options. If we go about thirty kilometer further we could change our route a little further east and visit Ayutthaya again. We were there ten years ago, but it is one of the best historical parks in Thailand and certainly worth another visit. The disadvantage of doing this is more miles today and tommorow, with the advantage of fewer on the last two days into Bangkok. Also we would be on busier roads, but we don't see this as a huge issue as this "white" road today wasn't that scenic either and the traffic will probably only pick up as we get closer to Bangkok.

We decide to go on. With 20km to go one last stop for a Cappuccino Frappe in an air conditioned coffee shop. It is hot outside, but the cool break and an infusion of caffeine gets us to Nahkon Sawan. We researched some hotels online during our coffee break and head straight to the PA Ville Hotel. Good location, close to a park and a large mall. Plenty of restaurants.

We get a modern room for 490 Baht and includes an american breakfast for 65 each extra. After a beer and chips break we walk to "The Walk Mall" where we have a steak dinner and shop for supplies we will need to clean and pack our bikes in Bangkok.

We are only about 250km to Bangkok.

Sugarcane trucks and factory.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fighting cocks in their cages along roadside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fresh green in new rice fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside graveyard for spirit houses. We find it curious that you never only see one dumped along the road there's always a collection.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More new rice plants greening the landscape.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside shrine.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 128 km (79 miles)
Total: 27,435 km (17,037 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0