to Jefferson City: on the Katy Trail - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2017

to Jefferson City: on the Katy Trail

"Ain't nothin' wrong with it" the grumpy looking man with an apron says. He had plugged in a sawsall turned it on and off then walked away. We have returned to the Sharps Corner for breakfast and joined by Mark. Patrick tried a plug by a table and it didn't appear to work. After asking the waiter about another plug, Patrick got a surly reply of basically no. Then this guy comes out to check the plug. Such a difference from our experience here last night. Short story is that Patrick and the waiter had a "stand-off", we did not get refills on our coffee and the waiter did not get a tip.

After a short cruise around downtown Hermann to check out the buildings, we say goodbye to Mark and head back across the Missouri and onto the Katy Trail headed west. The wind has dropped off and there is plenty of sunshine. We ride along farm fields, through forests and past old barns. There are a couple of trailheads and small towns on the route, but it seems the Katy is not bringing in enough business to sustain any that would cater to the tourists.

The restaurant we planned to eat at is closed. Many of the towns look dilapidated, nice old buildings falling into ruin. We eat most of our remaining food and arrive in Jefferson City hungry. The capitol building of Missouri is visible from a long ways away, but the town is located on the south side of the river and we don't see any food places on this side. So we head up the hill to our "Warmshowers" host. We have arrived earlier than expected, but Nick arrives home shortly after five. He works for the Missouri National Guard. We have a very nice evening talking with him. He barbecues up a nice burger and brats and the local IPA's are good.

Nice house in Hermann.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Hermann.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel and Mark ride by the Hermann Concert Hall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another nice Hermann building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hermann main street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mark takes our picture in Hermann.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After a short loop through Hermann it is time to leave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small church along the Katy Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Larger church along the Katy Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bicycles as yard decorations along the Katy Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wildflowers in bloom along the Katy Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some sections are open, but many are shaded nicely along the Katy Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Katy Trail follows the Missouri quite closely in some sections.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Limestone cliffs along the Katy Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A large standing rock with marks of historic flood levels along the Katy Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Anita in Carbondale gave us small nutella packages. Today we need them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the larger bridges along the Katy Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Historic photo of building the Missouri-Kansas-Texas railroad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First train down the Missouri-Kansas-Texas railroad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Missouri-Kansas-Texas railroad, later abbreviated to K-T or Katy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We meet some cyclists that do not believe in light-weight touring. Dan, check-out that cooler! Can you imagine how much beer and ice you could carry in one of those?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice house with messy neighbors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old barn tucked in the forest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more bridge on the Katy Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 37,579 km (23,337 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0